Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft to Open Some Windows

Microsoft to Reveal Windows Code is a Reuters story with some details on how, as the first steps towards compliance with their antitrust settlement with the U.S. Justice Department, over the next several weeks the software powerhouse will "disclose 385 bits of computer code and internal operating rules, previously kept secret, that outside software developers can use to write programs to run on Windows." Here is a bit more on these 385 bits: "Microsoft said in addition to 272 pieces of code it also would reveal 113 proprietary software 'protocols' that computer server makers can license to make their machines work better with Windows desktops." The article also goes into the steps still being sought by the nine states that have not accepted terms of this compromise with Microsoft.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. More detail Aug 5, 2002, 14:29 M7

www.Heise.de (major german IT Newspage) got a story with more detail.

In detail they explain Microsoft plans to release information about "272 internal interfaces between OS, Middleware and API to allow developers better integration of software and OS" and "113 currently unpublished network protocols, used for server/Client communication, which will be Licensable by suppliers of serversoftware".
Both will be published in MSDN for free.

I hope my rough translation is somewhat accurate.
You can find the article here:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/anw-05.08.02-006/

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 14:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo