Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Quick Quiz: What's the hardest substance known to man? You said diamonds? Nope, that's a close second, the answer is Airedale Terrier skull. This morning Hudson the wonder dog added a piano to the list of objects she's run into headfirst at full steam without slowing down (or ceasing to wag her tail, for that matter). Actually, most of the previous items on that list are more impressive still, as it includes several parked cars, a 300 LB marble tabletop, a fire hydrant (which clunked like it had been hit with a brick), and most comically of all (but true nonetheless), a sledgehammer. Along the way she has also managed to give MrsBlue a black eye and me a pair of fat lips before learning to be a bit more careful with her head while being picked up and bathed and such. This, of course, is why I often just call her "clunk."

Link of the Day: McSweeney's Internet Tendency On the Implausibility of the Death Star's Trash Compactor. Thanks Zdim.
Bonus Link: Satan on wine tasting. Thanks Imposter.
Story of the Day: ACLU Goes to Bat for Satan Against Florida Town's Edict Banning Evil One. Following a theme. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Media of the Day: The Nebuchadnezzar Hovership on BrickFrenzy. Thanks RCXpress.
Follow-up: Getting a wife - a designer coincidence. Following up on Coincidence Design (story). Thanks Brian Chin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Airedales Jan 26, 2002, 11:57 j.c.f.

Having had two Airedales through my childhood I'd be tempted to agree that their skulls can be on the formidable end of the spectrum. The second of said dogs was called Alice and upon her death it was discovered that she was nearly stone deaf from a congenital birth defect which explained the dogs trying life perfectly. I remember one perfect incident where the dog was standing next to the dining table -- no ordinary table this, you could seat 12 at it without all the leaves in it and was solid oak. Well someone called Alice and she does the usual swing the head radar trick -- except that the table leg in the way. CLUNK, my God, everybody in ear shot winced. Alice hardly even noticed. We always thought she was slow but of course if she was deaf she must've been one of the brightest dogs in creation to have managed to behave as well as she did with one crucial sense (to a dog anyway) severely impaired. The radar bit was because she only got the barest aural cue and had to scan visually to locate the source.

One of the funniest things that happened to the dog (which doesn't involve a physically solid skull so much as mentally solid one) was a during lunch one day and it was begging for a scrap of food, something we generally frowned upon. As we were building the house at the time there lots of scraps of pine lining boards lying around the place and Roger had put a 4" x 1/2" one in his pocket. Now Alice and food are a lightening combination to put it mildly and Roger gives Alice the wood instead of a piece of food. Well, SWOOOOP down goes the wood and the offended look Alice gave Roger was just pure betrayed innocence. Every since that day Alice first smelt _anything_ that was handed to her showing of course that the dog wasn't slow in the head at all, one trial learning and all.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo