Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day, as today marks the convergence of two of the Blue Tower's favorite occasions, with it also being Super Bowl Sunday. Word is our local Staten Island Chuck and nearby Punxsutawaney Phil each saw their shadows, scientific proof we should expect six more weeks of wintery weather, though Shipoke Sheena contradictorily says to expect an early spring, and she's not phar phrom Phil, if you'll phorgive the phorced alliteration. I hope she turns out to be right, because the six or so weeks of winter we've gotten so far around these parts have been pretty rough, and some warmth and sunshine will be welcome. Speaking of welcome, yes, the Super Bowl is tonight, and I certainly am looking forward to that, as always. This year's game holds a lot of promise, too, as it embodies so many classic conflicts: The AFC's one seed versus the one seed from the NFC, offense versus defense, the old QB versus the kid, the run versus the pass, good versus evil, orange orange versus lime green ... this one has it all.

R.I.P.: Oscar-winning actor Maximilian Schell dies at 83.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Space Flash Arena.
4th and Goal 2014.
Links: Super Bowl questions you're embarrassed to ask your friends.
Christie Asks for Public's Patience While He Comes Up with New Story. Satire warning.
Story: This random guy gets the night of his life in Bud Light's insane Super Bowl ad.
Science: Mysterious undersea “crop circles” finally explained.
Media: Heavy Metal Gamer Plays - Tecmo Super Bowl 2014- Seattle Seahawks Vs Denver Broncos.
A cars worst nightmare. It blends! Thanks The Flying Penguin.
David Letterman - Bill Murray's Peter Pan Flying Entrance.
The Funnies: Then and Now « EXTRALIFE.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 11:12 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 02:38:
Beamer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 01:23:
You don't think that, if it was legal, you wouldn't have more people trying it out of curiosity?

Right now, illegality and it simply being difficult to access absolutely limits who is doing it. Obviously a large amount of people still have access to it, but I don't think it's hard to imagine that there are plenty of people that never try it because they never have the opportunity, and that the legal issues further discourage them from overcoming that. I don't think many people would disagree that no one listens to what the government discourages us from. Some, however, do listen to what they prohibit us from.

Removing all barriers will absolutely increase first time users, and for things like meth, first time users are never only time users.
This isn't something like marijuana, which is harmless. This is something that legitimately destroys people.

Also, the "if people want to ruin themselves I say let them" argument below Prez' is a terrible one.

Lol, well since you avoid everything else in my post under the pretense of disagreeing with the basic premise of personal liberty laid out in the first sentence, could you at least explain why you think that's so terrible? Or are you just being typically disingenuous like so many others who are so quick to shrug off any notion of legalizing drugs? I don't think the government needs to be in the business of protecting people from themselves. Certainly not if the only goal is to prevent your "large amount of people" (I'd wager less than 1% of the population, are those who are inclined to want to do hard drugs and the only thing stopping them is a law) from harming themselves because they're stupid. It wouldn't be ignorance, either, because you would still have education of the dangers out there, as well as resources for those who need help when they've gotten in over their heads. Just like you do now for tobacco and alcohol, and those aren't even a fraction as harmful. At some point you need to allow common sense to do its work, or else you end up with Idiocracy.

Again, do you really think all of the negative consequences of these drugs being illegal is worth protecting that small subsect of the population from doing something dumb?

I don't think it's "typically disingenuous."

The government isn't in the business of protecting us from ourselves. It is in the business of protecting us from idiots around us.

Do you know what methheads are? Dangerous. And expensive. The fewer we have, the better. Hence, meth is illegal.

We know, conclusively, marijuana doesn't have the same effects. This is why it's rapidly becoming legal. And, when I worked in criminal law, possession was very rarely prosecuted. Why? It wasted everyone's time. There are only so many judges, and bringing everyone possessing into court would clog things more than they're already clogged.

But meth? Meth is a very different thing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo