Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announcement

Valve announces over a dozen Steam Machine designs are now in production for release this year, confirming the list of manufacturers revealed earlier today, and saying systems will start at $499:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced over one dozen Steam Machine designs now in production from leading manufacturers and targeted for release in 2014.

The lineup of Steam Machines announced today offers a wide variety of price and performance options made possible by the Steam Machine's open design, with systems starting as low as $499 and top end systems rivaling today's bleeding edge gaming PCs.

Every Steam Machine includes an innovative Steam Controller designed for use with a wide variety of game genres, and is powered by the SteamOS, a custom OS built atop Linux.

"The first generation Steam Machines offers something for every gamer, which is a critical part of extending Steam into the living room," said Gabe Newell of Valve. "With over 3,000 games and more than 65 million gamers on Steam, it's important to offer gamers a variety of Steam Machines that allow them to select what makes the most sense for them."

Announced earlier this year, Steam Machines are new entertainment systems targeted for use in the living room and leveraging Steam, the popular online platform for gaming and software with over 65 million accounts worldwide.

The makers of first generation Steam Machines are:

• Alienware
  • Alternate
  • CyberPowerPC
  • Digital Storm
  • Falcon NW
  • GigaByte
  • iBuyPower
  • Maingear
  • Material.net
  • Next Spa
  • Origin PC
  • Scan
  • Webhallen
  • Zotac

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

41. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 06:20 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:23:

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

Half-Life 2 was not the reason Steam took off. Counter-Strike 1.6 and later CS:Source had a bigger impact on early adoption than that, but all we did was bitch about the increased system resource usage and the fact that the friends list (only added feature Steam had to start with) was down 75% of the time. The only other digital distributor around at the time was Stardock, but they weren't creating a service that people were actually encouraged to use daily. That's where Steam stood alone, as a platform, not just a store. Valve then sealed the deal with Steamworks, allowing for the easy integration of said online service features including matchmaking and achievements that had the nifty side effect of making any game that used it require Steam. I remember BioShock being the first game I bought digitally aside from the Valve pack, and 650+ games later, I'm still waiting for HL3.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 06:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo