Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The calendar keeps ignoring my requests to stop, and so it turns out today is another birthday for me. Celebrations are pretty subdued here, however, as we spent the day in the hospital yesterday saying goodbye to my step-grandma, as she requested to be taken off all of her life-support after her kidneys finally gave out. If she hasn't passed yet, she'll go soon, and we are heartbroken. She was a remarkable woman who lead a magnificent life for 93 years, and she will be missed... one of the next couple of days I'll write up a bit to justify that hype. On the brighter side, I'm considering my present this year to be Hudson the wonder dog, and the way she is hanging in there pretty well for the time being. There had been indications her kidneys were likewise failing due to her medications, but they have rebounded and she's doing better at the moment. Hudson and Grandma Belle are the same age (if you do that dog years math), and in an odd coincidence, each suffered a bout of congestive heart failure at the same time, and have spent the past several weeks sharing symptoms and prognoses in an eerie way, and only just in the past week did their seemingly intertwined outlooks diverge. Hats off to Belle, Hudson, and all their fellow elders who have to have the final frontier so bravely, and who have less need to live for themselves than for the rest of us who struggle so hard to let them go when they are ready.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Infectonator: Hot Chase.
Transmyter Games.
Story: North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Wolf to Dog - Scientists Agree on How, but Not Where. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Computer Chips in Your Brain.
This is why you never turn your back to a tiger.
Dog Uses Stream and Ball to Play Fetch By Itself. Gunnar-man does the same with a hill.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 09:27 Verno

gray wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 08:34:
The US just sounds like a police state these days. I've been stopped by cops once in 20 years and that was for speeding when I was 19. No checkpoints, no 'surveys'. WTH is that with picking up kids from school, you can't wander in and take them out anytime of the day? I think I'd leave the country.

At my daughters school there were a few morons who would tear ass into the parking lot, try to park right beside the doors and do other stupid shit. Kids were walking between cars because they were everywhere, not parked properly, lined up at the curb and so on. They made everyone park on the road near the school instead of at the school itself for safety reasons because there were a few close calls. This wouldn't be a big deal but it makes crazy long lines when everyone gets off work, obstructs traffic and other shit. So they probably are just trying to keep it orderly which is fine. Of course it could also just be the constantly overreaching teachers and school boards these days. I'm so tired of getting school notices about new restrictions, things kids cant bring into school and so on.

The part where I get pissed off is when the dad walks on foot into the school and is told that he can't take his kids because he "skipped the line". That's just some power tripping fucking idiot. The guard is lucky he didn't end up in the hospital, you do not come between a parent and their children unless the situation is dire or abusive.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo