Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans

There will be just one model of the Oculus Rift when the VR headset is released to consumers next year, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe explains to Engadget, clarifying that there will not be separate versions of the Rift for PCs and Android. They also clarify that Android support will be "slim" to begin with, and John Carmack describes it as a "PC-based product with Android compatibility," and the implication seems to be that Android support will also require a computer: "That's why we're optimizing for Android, but the Oculus Rift will have a cable that goes down to another device which provides the CPU/GPU computing -- whether that's a laptop, a desktop, or potentially a mobile device, that's always been our focus for V1, that continues to be our focus for V1." They also touch on a future vision of a standalone unit, but stress that their main focus is to get their V1 units into consumers' hands at some point next year. Thanks nin via Shacknews.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

52. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 4, 2013, 12:22 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 05:55:
Im not sure Beamer is arguing for or against the Oculus. Im pretty sure he is only buthurt because his huge corporations have failed to invest in the technology. Well boohoo, its a niche product and I sure as hell will find a use for it. DCS and other aeroplane/space/driving sims will never be the same again. Like many before me have said, it all depends on the resolution though. If it can display 1080p consistently its a game changer. DCS's producer has already played around with the Rift and he already likes it, oh and you can see the keyboard through the vents apparently. The 720p resolution in the dev kit is too low to read gauges and spot bogeys but if they up that for the consumer version its pure win.

I don't get how I'm being "butthurt." And your comment about how huge corporations have failed to invest makes zero sense. I shouldn't expect more, most likely.

And I'm not arguing for or against. Like I said, I plan on buying one. I just think it's ridiculous that this product, like Ouya before it, gets people going "it's going to change the world!" It's not. This is a niche product for the most hardcore gamers and it won't cross into the mainstream.
This is not a bad thing. But let's be realistic. People saying "this is the next big thing in videogames" aren't really grounding themselves in reality. No way does this thing "replace flat panel monitors," as someone claimed earlier in the thread.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo