Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans

There will be just one model of the Oculus Rift when the VR headset is released to consumers next year, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe explains to Engadget, clarifying that there will not be separate versions of the Rift for PCs and Android. They also clarify that Android support will be "slim" to begin with, and John Carmack describes it as a "PC-based product with Android compatibility," and the implication seems to be that Android support will also require a computer: "That's why we're optimizing for Android, but the Oculus Rift will have a cable that goes down to another device which provides the CPU/GPU computing -- whether that's a laptop, a desktop, or potentially a mobile device, that's always been our focus for V1, that continues to be our focus for V1." They also touch on a future vision of a standalone unit, but stress that their main focus is to get their V1 units into consumers' hands at some point next year. Thanks nin via Shacknews.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 22:29 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 19:00:
Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:39:

It wasn't a jab - it's factual. If you're wearing these and you get a text message, or your girlfriend asks you a question, or your child comes into the room, you need to pause the game and lift these up. With a regular screen, you just divert your eyes.

The whole purpose of it is that isolation - for immersion.

Also, if those with the dollars were doing this, why isn't Apple, Microsoft, Sony, or Samsung doing this? They certainly have infinitely more money than the Occulus Rift guys do.

Although this is where I think the fanboyism that this product has comes in - any criticism, constructive or otherwise, is met with a ton of defensiveness. Ouya had a similar issue.

To the first part, somehow that will not be an issue on my end. If I get interrupted, I'll pause, push headset up etc. Right now I'm moving my headphones in cases like this. Perhaps this is more a challenge for others, I'm not going to poo poo on a technology over something like this. I'll overcome it with the act of doing next to nothing.

The second arguments is even easier to pick at. The history of mankind shows that smaller companies can routinely out visionairre large conglomerates. This technology is on, people wouldn't be developing for it like crazy if they didn't put it on and became impressed. If they didn't like it, they just would have passed developing on it. The industry isn't going to pull a fast one on us if this thing sucks, my guess is everyone goes in skeptical to a point.

Fanyboyism? How about not being so judgmental on things one hasn't tried yet? Poo Poo'ing is like a old man that just is stuck in his ways, don't we want something new and exciting?

Sports with helmets have always required us to push them up to communicate with others, guess what? We did just that, we never thought, "shit this sucks, even though it's fun while on, we'll have to just scrap it, since we have to push up the helmet to communicate, eat or drink.".

I'm still not necessarily sold on it until I get my try at it, but I'm totally not against it. I'm very open to something new already. I feel that is why most game sites are critical, it's been the same recycled formula for quite a while now and we're just tired and disappointed often. I'm also not going to think on ways to hate it without actually trying it myself. I remember when many thought 3D cards were a gimmick.

To the first part, I'm well aware it won't be an issue on your end. It won't be an issue on many peoples' ends. But it will be an issue on enough for this to not become mainstream. Will mothers be ok with their kids literally sitting unable to hear or see anything they say? Will kids in college dorms happily make themselves oblivious to what their roommates or floormates are doing around them?

I'm not poopooing. You act like I'm saying this is a terrible idea. I'm not. There's a damn good chance I'll buy one of these, but I'm a guy that spends hours a week on a PC gaming message board and blows tons of cash on Steam games I'll never even install - I'm extremely far from the norm. I'm a niche gamer, and this is a niche gamer idea. Some of the most entertaining ideas are niche ideas, that doesn't make them ones that will explode and be "the next big thing."

You honestly think the 30 million or whatever Call of Duty players out there are going to happily move over to this?
And what about the rest of the world? Do you think the Japanese will embrace this? What about areas with less money? Video game revenues are rapidly rising in emerging countries, do you think any developers will happily make most of their games exclude those markets, or do you think this has a chance of rapidly moving into those markets?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo