Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed

The Command & Conquer website has news of the cancellation of the upcoming free-to-play Command & Conquer revival, and Polygon has word that this also means the closure of its developer Victory Studios. "The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson told Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA." Here's word from the website:

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. Itís been much appreciated, and youíve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldnít be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately itís about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

48. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 07:12 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:19:
I disagree, look at the numbers Wasteland and Project Eternity brought in, hell look at Star Citizen and that's a very niche fanbase.

If EA were to make another full fledged Wing Commander, actors and all, or another C&C Generals, it would sell fine. There's enough gamers still around that remember those series to support them.

Horrible reading comprehension as usual, specifically the part of my post where I said a publisher like EA isn't setup to profitably make those types of games and doesn't seem interested in reorganizing itself to do so. It's not a question of whether it would sell, its whether it would sell enough to satisfy the blackhole budgets EA operates with.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo