Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief Dropping XP System

The Eidos Montreal Community Website has a community Q&A about the upcoming Thief reboot, answering questions from eager fans of the franchise (thanks PC Gamer). The topic this time around is the removal of the planned XP system from the game, a decision the developers explain while dropping a hint they may have something positive to say about QTEs in the future:

Why was it removed?

Nic:
At first, we wanted to outline the progression of the player with XP, but it was reducing our motivation to steal. The main goal of a thief should be to gain loot. Garrett is already the Master Thief, so we saw no need to have XP as a core mechanic.

Daniel: We wanted to put emphasis on stealing things, and put the rewards on the stealing aspect. We want to allow the player to decide the "how to" we shouldn't judge how the player wants to achieve their goal, only reward them for achieving it.

The reaction from fans to the "Headshot XP" pop-up in the E3 gameplay demo was fairly negative. Did that have an impact on the decision to remove it from the game?

Daniel: Fans might be surprised how often the devs go to the forum to see how things are perceived in the "real world". This feedback is extremely valuable to us, so as you can imagine, the consistent reaction to the XP system was something that indicated we needed to revisit some design decisions.

Nic: It is more a design decision to add to our economy system and entice the player to steal more. But yes, the E3 reaction was right, rewarding killing like that was wrong for a Master Thief.

How will Garrett progress through the game without XP?

Nic:
The goal is to use gold to buy elements to progress, to encourage the player to steal. The player will be able to choose how to spend money, for more stealthy or more aggressive tools.

Daniel: It was always possible to play without using XP, like it is still possible to play through the game without killing anyone or even spending any coin (though it isn't going to be easy!)

Thanks guys, this was very instructive. And wait until you hear what they have to say about QTEs...

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

59. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 22, 2013, 07:45 Quinn

+1 on Raptor's elaboration on why the removal of manual jumping can lead to frustration.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 04:00:
Quinn wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:07:
Having issues with people somehow defending the idea of no manual jumping. It sucks as a matter of fact. No matter what excuse you make up. The major reason, that seems to be ignored indefinitely, is the fact that you can now no longer calculate a jump onto a set of boxes, for example, from a higher level up, to get a better position to either ghost past or knock out a guard.

There's no "we'll see" in this. It sucks. Period. How much the entire game will suck or not? We'll see, indeed.

You don't need to calculate a jump onto a set of boxes because the game will do it for you. As I mentioned earlier, the game uses an AC-style traversal system where the game automatically jumps for you. So, if there's a set of boxes you can jump on and you run towards it, you will automatically jump onto the set of boxes. Granted, removing the skill part of it is disappointing but you're still able to go where you want to go.

The lack of manual jumping really isn't that big of a deal if there are other systems that achieve the same results.

Jerykk, I'm not sure it's my English. Do I really suck at describing my point?

I'll give it another try...

Imagine you stand on a wall. Five meters below you there's a set of boxes, positioned 3 meters away from the wall you stand on. You want to jump onto that set of boxes, because it keeps you in the shadows / keeps you from landing on metal tiles / gets you right behind a guard for a knock-out / whatever. You, however, can't make that jump because the game won't recognize the boxes you target. If the game will let you jump automatically if you run off any edge, it might make you jump too far or too short.

If you think the game can read the player's mind, then there's no problem with it, indeed.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo