Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announced

The second announcement of Valve's promised three announcements is live, following news of plans for SteamOS with details on Steam Machines, a "powerful new category of living-room hardware" they say is "on the horizon." Join the hardware beta now. Choose the model right for you in 2014. They describe plans for a variety of such machines coming from several partners to account for differing needs, and outline a Valve Prototype, saying they are shipping 300 of these free to Steam users to test. They outline how to qualify as a tester and also have a FAQ covering the topic. The FAQ indicates that some games will use "in-home streaming," saying Steam Machines can play: "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming." Here's word on testing:

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype thatís optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, itís also completely upgradable and open.

This year weíre shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

79. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 21:14 Zanderat1

Will they allow non-STEAM games to run on the OS?

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2013, 21:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo