Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I am soliciting opinions on a couple of questions today. Overnight a couple of posts were reported for being personal attacks, only the attacks were on the developer mentioned in the article, rather than on another reader. The goal of our loose forum rules is to allow as much freedom of expression as possible, so we usually allow more leeway in crabbing about public figures than each other, since the later tends to promote flame wars, while the former doesn't. On the other hand, venom is not required to make most points, so I'm leaning towards removing posts that cross the line of civility, and want to see how you all feel about the tradeoffs this represents between personal expression and good manners. Also, I included a couple of screenshot thumbnails on the front page yesterday and asked if this was okay (normally you'd have to click a link to view the them here), and there were a couple of negative comments, but not much outcry, which has me leaning towards including them more often, so now is the time to say so if you hate that idea. Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you're willing to provide.

Fed Back Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: NeoCon TD.
Papa's Cupcakeria.
Links: Watch Colbert Eviscerate the Head of MTV. Thanks nin.
Stories: Dead shark found in NYC subway car with Redbull, cigarette and fare card. Thanks brother19.
Tesla shares surge after surprise profit.
How GM makes a car sound like what a car is supposed to sound like. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Here’s What Happens Inside You When a Mosquito Bites. Thanks Boing Boing.
Dogs yawn with their owners, less so with strangers.
Is age the cause of receding gums?
Pikmin Didn't Think This One Through.
Media: Nerf War - the Candy Cartels.
What Happens When You Put Someone Afraid Of Flying In A Stunt Plane. NSFW. Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 11:40 Will W

I generally ignore comments with personal attacks. There are a few people around who like to do it with a greater then average frequency, and I just don't put any value their input into ANY discussions. There's also the ignore feature.

I'm all for stopping personal attacks between users, but I think that's the extent of where the moderation should go. I've seen a few users who will report someone...and then quote that very post and REPLY to it. That tells me that person is just doing a "I'm going to tattle on you and get the last word in".

I like text only on the front page. It's the way it's always been and the way I've always liked it. The blues page is very clean and strait forward....and if you want to see pictures you can click through to get to them. That said...it is your site and if you want to expand readership then a change like that may help. I rarely visit other game sites because lots of them end up looking like a clown vomited on a tie-die shirt with all of the pictures, videos, and other random crap they try to squeeze onto a page.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo