Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief E3 Presentation

This trailer offers a look as the E3 presentation of Thief as Eidos Montreal's "Producer / Thief" (not sure they meant the caption to read like he's a criminal) Stéphane Roy demonstrates the game for Spike TV's Geoff Keighley. The clip includes live gameplay footage, though it's the PlayStation 4 edition of the reboot that's used for this (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). One of the topics they explore is the mix of action and stealth, and they admit they have been enhancing the action part of the equation as they've gone along after starting with a game that was almost purely about stealth.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 16, 2013, 20:22 Jerykk

Like you once said, horror games can't never be truly scary when you know you can fuck up any adversary. Stealth games, I argue, can never get tense (for lack of a better word atm) when you know getting caught means you can just slaughter them.

I guess the key difference is that horror requires the player to be scared, whereas stealth does not. To me, stealth is about perfectionism. Never being detected, never leaving any trace of your existence behind. You can choose to be a perfectionist. You can't choose to be scared. The risk of failing to meet my own requirements is what creates tension in stealth games. To me, being detected is a fail state, no different from dying.

One of the biggest nonsense people can utter in this community is the "yoi're playing it wrong" argument. Stealth, to me, doesn't mean BY DEFINITION 'ghosting'. To you maybe, and that's fine, but I enjoyed the earlier Thiefs knocking some guards with an annoying path-pattern out and quickly and properly hiding their bodies. I didn't systematically knock everyone out. To me, this was great fun and a good, balanced challenge, because it was often easier to ghost past than to knock-out and hide the body before others took notice. I loved it. Was I playing it wrong? Tell that to the guy who had the time of his life playing it exactly like that.

Okay, so you enjoy knocking guards out. You are now complaining that the new Thief makes it too easy to knock guards out. In 9/10 situations, knocking a guard out in Thief (or any stealth game) is easier than trying to evade them. When you knock out a guard, you are removing a threat and obstacle. That's one less pair of eyes to avoid while you do your business. If you're trying to grab all the loot in a room being patrolled by several guards, the easiest way to get the loot is to knock out all the guards first. Seriously, go back and play Thief and try to get through a level without incapacitating any guards. It's significantly harder than just knocking out guards whenever the opportunity arises. The AI doesn't notice the absence of other AI, nor do they have randomized patrol routes. There are always rooms where you can dump bodies without the risk of them being discovered. If challenge is your top priority, you shouldn't be knocking out guards at all. That's the entire reason why I ghost in the first place. I want a greater challenge.

If lack of challenge is your concern, then you shouldn't take the path of least resistance.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2013, 20:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo