Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 13:33 Beamer

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:27:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:29:
Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

Creston
I played Unreal Tournament for hours a day, just about every day, for YEARS. What an awesome game that was. I remember when Looking Glass Studios closed, the employees talked about spending their last day playing Unreal Tournament together. Then whatsisname at Epic, Tim something posted a comment on Looking Glass's closure deriding a company made up of "MIT grads" and saying basically oh well, sink or swim, survival of the fittest, if you can't turn a profit you shouldn't be in the business. Tasteless. Then they released Unreal Tournament 2 and the magic was truly gone.

I remember that. Tim posted about how difficult the economic realities of running a studio are.
People flipped out and said he was an asshole because they didn't understand what he wrote.

"This isn't a sad day, it's an economically realistic day. Looking Glass spent lots of money making innovative games that never sold well.

A really cool guy I know who used to work at Looking Glass had some insight into this: the company slogan may well have been "By MIT Grads, For MIT Grads". Think about that. Most of the stuff they did was way out of the realm of what most mainstream gamers wanted.

Being a niche company and making good, unusual styles of games is cool, but you have to be lean-and-mean in order to do that successfully. Pop Top (Railroad Tycoon) is a great example of success in a small genre.

But you can't be a niche company and have the kind of huge overhead and expenses that Looking Glass had.

Right now, an ugly shakeout has begun in the industry. Look at the stock market crash in shares of Activision, EA--that's Electronic Arts not Evil Avatar , Activision, Acclaim, GT, and Eidos. These guys no longer have the resources to fund the financial losers.

Projects and teams that are not producing profitable games are being axed. Origin's projects (minus UO) and Looking Glass are only the beginning. Some of the companies and teams that will take the axe damn well deserve it, and others are unfortuntely made up of really good guys who just haven't had the good fortune of producing hits.

This is the bit where the comet hits the earth and the dinosaurs die, but the way is cleared for cooler life forms to evolve."

Keep in mind this is from 2000. Tim was right, too. Making expensive, niche games isn't economically viable. This is why people stopped doing it. Now, 13 years later, we have ways for people to make inexpensive niche games, and niche games are rising rapidly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo