Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar

The unfortunate inequitable review embargo for BioShock Infinite has expired, and viewpoints on Irrational Games' shooter prequel can now compete with each other for supremacy, just as Andrew Ryan would have wanted. Metacritic currently shows the game with 31 positive critic's reviews and a 95 metascore, which is in the rarified air of the best reviewed games of all time, including the original BioShock, which is one of seven PC games with a metascore of 96. As of now there are no user reviews, as the game is not due until tomorrow.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 15:15 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 13:22:
Meh, I'm still going to wait. Sim City has a bunch of 90 reviews from the Press before it shipped.

I have to wonder how much getting these games Free can fog the vision of reviewers.
In the simcity case, that wasn't the problem. The problem was they setup a private server, before the launch, for just journalists. They made sure it had near 100% uptime and good connections, and they just played with their close friends (mostly no griefing).

Problem was, the launch was NOTHING like what the reviewers experienced. In addition to the servers being total crap, there's griefers out there playing the game.

Plus, most reviewers didn't bother to review it enough to get to see the AI bugs, or the myriad of problems when the city gets bigger.

So its hard to blame them on the private server review, although some of them had enough of a clue to foresee those potential issues, and I liked how some of them adjusted the score after release to better reflect the actual customer experience (instead of the reviewer experience). But they should definitely take blame for not bothering to play enough to see the AI failings.

And it also shows some of the systemic issues in the reviewing process, namely reviewing games prior to release. Unfortunately that will likely never get fixed, due to almost no one turning down a chance to get a jump on the flood of reviews by getting one out early, and tons of users reading and relying on those advance reviews for buying decisions.

But for people with half a clue, they should realize they should put more weight on reviews after release, and look to make sure user experiences aren't total crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo