Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com - Forget the Cellphone Fight — We Should Be Allowed to Unlock Everything We Own. Thanks Ant.
It hasn’t always been that way. Copyright laws were originally designed to protect creativity and promote innovation. But now, they are doing exactly the opposite: They’re being used to keep independent shops from fixing new cars. They’re making it almost impossible for farmers to maintain their equipment. And, as we’ve seen in the past few weeks, they’re preventing regular people from unlocking their own cellphones.

This isn’t an issue that only affects the digerati; farmers are bearing the brunt as well. Kerry Adams, a family farmer in Santa Maria, California, recently bought two transplanter machines for north of $100,000 apiece. They broke down soon afterward, and he had to fly a factory technician out to fix them.

Because manufacturers have copyrighted the service manuals, local mechanics can’t fix modern equipment. And today’s equipment — packed with sensors and electronics — is too complex to repair without them. That’s a problem for farmers, who can’t afford to pay the dealer’s high maintenance fees for fickle equipment.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2013, 07:35 Beamer

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 06:19:
Nexus phones don't put up the numbers because they're not manufactured in large enough batches. The nexus 4 is sold out mostly everywhere, and was $400. The nexus 5 coming out soon looks to be another piece of excellent hardware not subsidized through convoluted, and obtuse contract schemes as well.

beamer you don't just pump the status quo. Hell the status quo wouldn't even consent to what you're trying to do to it.

What am I trying to do?
Get people to understand there are multiple sides to any story and that immediately jumping to one without considering the other often has consequences?

I haven't taken a side here. Fuck, it's hard to talk to some of you because you always think anyone not in full agreement must be on the other side of the wall. I've repeatedly said cellphones aren't a good example of where consumers win via a locked device, but they still get SOME benefit from it. I've also repeatedly said that they would probably get MORE benefit without it.
And I've said that, with other devices, they definitely get LOTS of benefit out of it. Take printers. As someone that prints maybe twice a year, I would definitely get HUGE benefit out of the locked model. Yes, my printer is tied to stupid expensive ink. But as I'd use a cartidge every two years, I'd benefit enormously from the cheaper device prices.

Some people here just assume everything fucks them. Well, that's probably true, but everything fucks them in different degrees. Changing something so it fucks you less just means that you'll be fucked in new ways.
If you're going to be cynical about how much corporations hate you at least do so in a way that understands how they operate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo