Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

68. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 11:30 PHJF

Also, the strongest connection between science and religion is that they both ultimately rely on blind faith.

It is faith to a degree, but to say it is blind is completely disingenuous. Science is in essence experimentation repeated until a clearly predictable result is defined. Expecting a clearly predictable result is not "blind faith".

And allow me to clarify belief:

As an atheist, I don't believe in a god. As an atheist, I don't believe there is no god. I also don't believe there are flying pigs (on this planet), I don't believe NASA faked the moon landing, and I don't believe in bigfoot. Belief isn't an acceptable way to arrive at conclusions. I would instead say that, given the lack of evidence to support a given claim, this conclusion is unlikely to be true. I wouldn't have arrived at that conclusion from blind faith but from inductive or deductive reasoning (which I learned in the 8th grade). And a big part of atheism is in burden of proof. It is not my job to disprove the existence of god

Science has more evidence, and science is significantly less stupid, but if you follow its trail to the end you get to blind faith.

No. We don't know the end (if there even is one) of the trail. We are tiny, tiny beings on a tiny planet in a smudge of a solar system in the ass end of a galaxy in the middle of an inconceivably large universe. And that's just on the macro scale. We are learning new things on the subatomic scale. And what we learn from science directly improves our quality of life, whereas religion's only practical function is to give people hope. On the other hand most religions tell people faith is good whereas my entire k-12 and post-secondary education told me that was horseshit and that whenever something was unknown I should either research or experiment or use a proof to come to a (reasonable) answer. Again, one of these systems is practical. The other is less than worthless. I don't have faith because I have a brain.

Science has given us so much and will give us so much more. The powers to create, the powers to destroy, the powers to manipulate on any scale. Science will make gods of men. At least until some still-superior species from some distant planet comes and squishes us, anyways.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with belief in higher power or alien conspiracies or tales of sasquatches and yetis. They are by themselves harmless. When religious people get together and start pushing agendas, though, we have a serious problem. Doctrines professing either faith or reason/logic are diametrically opposed. They can't coexist forever. And the day faith wins over thought is the day the human race effectively begins to wither and die.

Actually, that already happened back in the Dark Ages. Ironically it was monks who painstakingly preserved what knowledge humanity had by then accumulated.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo