Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Brutal Legend Next Week; Future Additions Possible

The Steam page for Brȕtal Legend now reveals a release date for the Windows edition of Double-Fine's musical action/strategy game, saying it will be available one week from today on February 26th. Rock, Paper, Shotgun (thanks nin) has some quotes from a recent interview with Tim Schafer exploring the premise that the game finally coming to PCs three years after its console release may be fortuitous, as a success could lead to Double Fine pursuing some ideas for additional content they were unable to at the time of the game's initial release since they were then under the control of Electronic Arts.

Tim talks of an RTS control mode and additional multiplayer content, noting it's unlikely they could add additional single-player content since it would require re-engaging all the original game's expensive voice talent. He even discusses the possibilities of microtransactions being added, though Double Fine stresses it would proceed with caution should any attempts to add content come to pass out of sensitivity to what might seem like a money grab. "I started in the industry when people were like, ‘PC gaming is dead! Consoles are the future.’ And for people who stuck around through that time, they felt really abandoned," explains technical director Nathan Martz. "They felt like publishers and developers didn’t care. So I think a lot of that frustration and anger comes from this feeling of ‘I cared about this thing when you didn’t. And now you’re trying to take advantage of it. Do you actually even care?’ So we want to show people that we do care. We’re bound by the laws of physics and finance, so we can only do so many things. But we really, really want to respect the platform as much as those people do."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Re: PC Brutal Legend Next Week; Future Additions Possible Feb 20, 2013, 16:19 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:35:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:55:
I would have bought this 3 yrs ago, had there been a pc version. Now? I don't know. So much backlogged on Steam.

Yeah, same here.

I also love that devs release games on the consoles exclusively (admittedly probably not their call), and it doesn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel, so then they release it on the PC and they're all like "Hey, if you guys buy this, we'll make more! Please buy it? Please???" So I guess all that wonderful console money wasn't enough, huh?

Well, maybe had you not agreed to Electronic Fucking Arts forcing you to make it a console exclusive, you could have had those PC sales three years ago and could've done a sequel?

Anyway, I've got plenty to play, and don't really need three year old ports.

Creston

Had DF not agreed to making it a console-exclusive, they wouldn't have gotten the contract and the game wouldn't have been made at all. I'm all for PC games but when you deal with publishers, you really don't have any control over the big decisions. For games that require big budgets, like BL, publishers are still the only source of funding. Despite the delay and mixed reviews, I'm happy that BL is coming to PC and that DF is finally going to remove the 30 FPS cap from their engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo