Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 20:53 Bhruic

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 19:45:
Why do I do this? Well, you said it. Posts tend to be biased towards PC gaming and PC gamers. That's understandable, but it's still biased and I want to remind some people of reality - not pro-company bias, but no bias at all. That means considering things from the companies' point of view even if you don't agree.

I'd argue there is no such thing as no bias at all, but that's a separate issue. What I think both you and he are missing is that this is a site dedicated to PC gamers.

Imagine, for example, a site dedicated to Apple products. How welcome do you think it would be if in every thread discussing Apple products, there were always one or two people who showed up - to every thread - and constantly talked about how overpriced Apple products are, how they really lacked innovation, how bad their manufacturing facilities are in China, etc. Now certainly all of those positions can be argued for, probably successfully. But the rest of the people on a site dedicated to Apple products are almost certainly going to get sick of the people constantly feeling the need to come in and take that approach.

It's not an exact analogy, I grant, but it gets across the general feeling. Yes, we understand that game companies want to make money. Yes, we understand that consoles tend to ensure a greater profit. Yes, we understand that it's cheaper to port products across rather than spend extra money making a truly PC experience. We understand that companies generally make their decisions based on financial motives rather than personal ones. We get all that. But as PC gamers, all of those facts are pretty irrelevant. If a company takes shortcuts and puts out a substandard game on a PC, we are going to call them out for it. I, and I suspect most others around here, don't give a damn if it saved them money. And we don't care if a company was paid extra money to make their DLC exclusive to a specific console. I will consider a company that does that to be a greedy sellout.

There's nothing wrong with taking a look at things from a business perspective - the thread about Psychonauts 2 was a good example of it being useful. But while I wouldn't say I've noticed you doing so to any large degree, Beamer has taken defending corportate positions to an extreme.

For some, wallowing in the fantasy of evil publishers who hate PC gamers might be easy but it's just not real and therefore pointless. Ignorance is bliss, perhaps, but if we are ever going to change anything, we need to first know what we're trying to change.

That's the same strawman that Beamer put forward. No one thinks that publishers are evil. What a lot of people think is that some publishers are assholes. And as much as I wish that was a fantasy, unfortunately it's not.

I should point out that I'm definitely in the category of giving kudos when they are due. I'll defend decisions that EA makes, for example, when I think they've done the right thing. But neither people who assume they are always wrong, or people who believe they are always right are helping anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo