Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer

This trailer offers a new look at Star Trek: The Video Game, the upcoming Kirk and Spock co-op action game. The clip features gameplay footage, and commentary from Paramount's Brian Miller, executive producer on the game. "Kirk is this brash cowboy character, whereas Spock is the exact opposite and when you break down Star Trek to those elements, you had to make a co-op game," Miller explains. "There was no other game we could possibly make."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

46. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 14:44 Orphic Resonance

wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 14:18:
Perhaps I just look at the movie differently than most.

Maybe being light on the morality issues had to be done because they were establishing the timeline split... so it's really a beginning.

And technically... there were morality things brought up, they just were not "in your face". Resolution conflict with others and within ones self (Spock Specifically). Kirk's persistance to fight for what he believe's is right (taking on the Roumans instead of regrouping with the fleet).

If you don't like the movie because it wasn't being "preachy", like most episodes of either series, that is fine, and that is your opinion. But others feel that the essence of the original series characters is there, and there is more to come as the movies dig deeper into those characters. Remember, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were intended really represent different facets of one person.... which was brilliant of Roddenberry... and those facets have to really come out in order to start dealing with morality issues on a higher level. The first movie concentrated more on the timeline split than anything... now there's more room to explore other areas.

thats not how i see it

to me, the essence of star trek has always been about adventure, discovery, exploration, and mystery - its like "twilight zone" in space, with serialized characters.. the utopian ethics are not the primary focus IMO, but they do provide an interesting backdrop

the JJ movie was pretty much full-tilt popcorn action movie, which is not a problem on its own - but you could have tossed out every single star trek reference or idea and set it in some generic sci-fi setting and the movie would not have been any different nor would it have suffered in any way - and conversely, it did not gain anything from the star trek themes/characters/settings that were there

the series didnt need to be "rebooted", just modernized - and JJ failed utterly at that task although he probably had no one holding him back anyways so you have to wonder if anybody is at the helm anymore to begin with - in other words, star trek is most likely dead at this point.. the new re-animated corpse is not the same, in any way shape or form, yes thats my opinion but i know plenty of other fans share it

with all of that said - i think the new movie may be trying to go against the purely superficial action of the other one.. it seems like it has the possibility to be more cerebral, but who knows - im willing to give it a shot

but ultimately i think of star trek as more of a serial show, and all of the movies are much less iconic to me.. i appreciate all the series, (tos - tng - ds9 - voyager - enterprise) in different ways, ive seen all of them.. my personal fav was DS9, i think it realized the most star-trek-ness in the best way, but thats my personal opinion

then again im not stupid enough to think my personal opinions are the same thing as "the way it is" in actual fact - and on that basis, i disregard the subjectivity of others just as easily.. especially the drooling morons that cant tell the difference

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo