Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2013, 11:14 Creston

These aren't military drones controlled from 3000 miles away that can fly for 500 miles. These are tiny little things with a super-small control radius that can fly for a short period of time before recharging. They're really not much better than the kind of RC helicopter you can buy at Amazon.

The tiny drone, which was displayed at the hearing and fits disassembled into a small suitcase, can fly for up to 24 minutes at a height of 400 feet and only has a maximum radius of a quarter-mile from the operator. Alameda County Sheriff Gregory Ahearn argued that the drones will be used primarily for search and rescue operations.

If the Sheriff's dept (or whomever, really) wants to blanket an area with this, they basically need to put a trained police officer with equipment every quarter mile. A careful estimate I made without really doing any math whatsoever means that if they wanted to use this for general surveillance across the US, it means they need approximately 945 trillion trained operators. And every one of them needs about 12 drones in order to be able to keep a drone in the air at all times.

If this were used for specific purposes, such as to hunt someone down, or to monitor specific issues, I wouldn't really have a huge issue with it. I'd rather they fly a drone in the air than a helicopter. But of course, it's the government, so they'd find some kind of bullshit to do with it in no time flat.

Ted Poe has been trying to block this, apparently, but seems to get little traction with the dipshits representatives in Washington.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo