Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Forbes - Conan O'Brien, Hitman, And Ludonarrative Dissonance In Video Games.
Basically each of his jokes says something profoundly important about games whether or not he realizes it, and this is (I suspect) mainly because here we have someone who doesn’t play video games at all playing one and simply speaking his mind. The conceit of many video games these days is that you can get away with bad writing and preposterous narrative choices simply because it’s a game.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2013, 09:55 Slick

i posted a reply on the forbes comments section, Nick Adelson, i'll repost here:

May I retort?

As an avid PC gamer and member of 20ID [url]http://www.20id.org/[/url] One of the longest running, and most accomplished teams in PC gaming history, I should point out that LudoNarritive is culturally pre-requisite to videogames.

If it feels too real, if it emulates real consequences, if it was a true mirror, then it would be a military grade simulation costing untold millions . Video games are currently amongst the most sophisticated pieces of living software, and along the design process there are checks made to keep it in the realm of a “game”. This is fundamental to game design. The mechanics and inner workings of a system are entirely circumstantial to the game.

I would expect that in a game of chess a knight could easily slay a king, queen or pawn, however a “tower” would present an insurmountable obstacle for a lowly knight, how would one defeat the other? Through game mechanics.

IRL, In real life, in a similar situation, i might be able to perform an action which would make my task easier, more efficient, more natural. But often these actions would break what we call “game balance”. There is a reason when i am mounted in a turret atop a humvee which has modified armor shielding my backside, that there is a tiny bit of my head pops out the top. In real life i would simply slink 2 inches lower in the canopy, but instead i make an incredibly small high value target for the opposing forces. Rock, Paper, Scissors taken just as literally would be equally broken, yet it symbolized the balance which game designers strive to achieve.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo