Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Trailer

This trailer offers almost 11 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, showing combat, exploration, and environments featuring the new more anatomically correct Lara Croft. The clip is accompanied by narration from Noah Hughes, as the creative director on the upcoming action/adventure reboot walks us through what we're seeing.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 08:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.
We don't know that yet. Obviously they're showing off the new gameplay elements, like combat, as something new but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot of traditional puzzle solving. Underworld increased the amount of combat but it was still a very good TR game.

Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
Also, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between gameplay and story. Lara is supposed to be inexperienced, yet she runs around murdering hardened killers left and right.
But we don't know how far into the game this section is, nor do we know what's come before. The earlier videos show her to be weak and vulnerable, so it's not all like this.

I didn't watch much of the video because I didn't want to spoil the game as I've already got it preordered but the graphics look decent (like the previous games were) and it looks like they're changed things up enough to keep it fresh. Hopefully there's plenty in the way of tomb raiding, as otherwise the franchise has jumped the shark - I'm not interested in the combat, more the narrative and puzzles.

They've already released a significant amount of video footage of the game. This is the third walkthrough demo. In all the walkthrough videos, there's a clear emphasis on combat (and QTEs and cutscenes) and a distinct lack of skill-based platforming and challenging puzzle-solving. The only puzzle they've shown to completion was a very rudimentary one. In addition to the videos, there have been plenty of previews and interviews that reaffirm my criticisms of the game. They've even released a list of achievements, the bulk of which pertain to killing things.

It's odd that the platforming is the memorable part, because its linear and basically "push the awesome button."

I hope you're not referring to the previous TR games because you couldn't be more wrong. The platforming and puzzle-solving in the previous games required skill and thought. The exact opposite of "push the awesome button."

Being a little more combat focused does two things; 1, it gives more replayability to a game, since very few puzzles are genuinely fun the second time around, and 2 it gives them a chance to implement upgrades to your character as you play, giving you a carrot to chase while you explore or gain achievements or whatever else throughout the game.

Or they could just add upgrades that actually help you with platforming and puzzle-solving, which should be the focus of the game. New acrobatic maneuvers, for example. Compared to Underworld, Lara's new moveset is thoroughly underwhelming. She can't balance or swing on poles, she can't swing around with her grappling hook, she can't wall-run, she can't dive... removing traversal abilities is the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Besides, at this point in gaming...how many different key combination, move this block to that spot, push this wheel, discover this symbol combination puzzles, or whatever other content that passes for a "puzzle" in a game, actually gives you even the slightest pause anymore?

That's the whole problem with modern gaming. The vast majority of games don't have puzzles and the ones that do are generally dumbed down. Anniversary had great puzzles and this new game could have followed that trend. Instead, it decided to follow the other trend and dumbed everything down.

Also, complaining about dumbing games down for the CoD kiddies is really becoming the gaming forum equivalent of shaking your fist at those damn kids on your lawn. It's just silly completely accurate.

Fixed. Ignoring the obvious impact of CoD's success is silly. Lamenting how that impact is turning every genre into a watered-down shooter is completely valid.

Fair enough. I dunno I haven't played a TR in forever and I'm now actually considering picking this one up based on this video, so I guess it did something right, considering I generally don't like platform/puzzle games either.

This is the exact problem. They aren't designing this game to appeal to fans of the series. They're designing it to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place. Essentially screwing their existing audience in favor of a new one. Splinter Cell: Conviction, R6: Vegas and GRAW did the same thing.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 12:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo