Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut

Gearbox gears up for next week's launch of Aliens: Colonial Marines with a new extended cut version of the contact trailer for the first-person shooter. Word is: "Underlined with a classical piece of cinematic music by Golden Globe nominated composer Clint Mansell, the trailer takes viewers on a vertical ride through the USS Sulaco with US Colonial Marines fighting for their lives against an incoming wave of Xenomorphs."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut Feb 8, 2013, 10:59 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:26:
An Aliens Walkthrough

I take it back, this looks WAY worse than I thought initially. The texture work looks like early first wave console games. The Aliens are a joke, it feels like a Call of Duty mod or something. I normally try to look on the bright side of things but this just looks terrible. 20 seconds in and a ragdoll gets stuck in the level geometry, horrible VA, consolized gameplay

Those graphics look way better than people are making it out. Seriously, the character models look fine. Anyone saying it looks like a game from 2002, or even from the launch of the 360, does not remember what games looked like then.

And yeah, it's a bit annoying that the AI friendlies take about a billion shots to kill something, but trust me, it's more frustrating if they're as deadly as you are. This guy was killing most people in one burst (what difficulty is this?) And he was ALWAYS lagging behind his AI teammates. If they were more deadly, he wouldn't be killing anything. He'd just be watching the friendlies kill.

Which is why friendly AI almost never manages to be deadly - it becomes them playing instead of you. Given that no room had a huge amount of enemies, I think it was fine that they were killing ~15%. It bugged the crap out of me in Call of Duty, where you'd be fighting 100 guys and they'd kill 5, but here? If they were as deadly as this guy wanted he wouldn't have been playing a game.

The things he complains about seem fine to me. The thing he praises, the level design, seems problematic to me. Clear room, walk into next room, clear room, walk into next room, clear room, walk into next room. It's Doom 3 without closets.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo