Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 15:34 Dr. D. Schreber

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:09:
Chrono Cross was a good game in its own right and it build on and adapted the systems in Chrono Trigger for the modern era. But it does seem like they're afraid of the IP. The only references to the original in the game are a guarded reference to Magus and the explanation of the final boss. And why would you make a sequel to a time hopping IP where you are unceremoniously stuck in time? All of which is okay, but then they drop the series cold because they need more time for....FFX-2? Running their MMOs? Does the top brass not even like the game?

Also seconding Vagrant Story. Another boundary pusher that was one and done for some reason. Its hard to find games that have that kind of love invested in every corner.

They dropped the series cold because they were expecting the Chrono Trigger re-release on the DS to sell really well and it didn't. There was even a story awhile back about someone from Squeenix telling the fanbase that if they really wanted a new game in the series, they should've bought more copies of Chrono Trigger.

I remember reading that the plan for Guile in Chrono Cross was for him to be revealed as Magus, but it was dropped at some point. In "Radical Dreamers," the character who turned into Guile turned out to be Magus in the end (it's been a looooooong time since I've read up on any of this but I believe in the Japanese version of Chrono Cross, Guile's name is Alf instead of the original Gil, so there are also a subset of players who think he's Magus' cat Alfador.)

As far as Chrono Cross having very little connection to the original goes, I always thought it was rather genius that this was actually part of the plot. It's like Blood Omen 2; the entire setting and events of the game only exist because of what happened in Chrono Trigger, and that's why you can't find El Nido on the Chrono Trigger world map somewhere near Guardia and Porre where it should be; it didn't exist. Chrono Cross is basically Chrono Trigger's last sidequest; there's no way to help Magus find Schala in Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross ties up that loose end.

One bit of fun I had with that... once you've reached the end-game in Chrono Trigger and Gaspar gives you all the remaining sidequests, one of his lines is something akin to "Someone very close to you needs help, find this person, fast!" and he'll never stop saying it like he stops saying the other lines as you finish the quests. I totally bought this as intentional foreshadowing for Chrono Cross for years, like they had to cut out finding Schala and left the line in because they planned to solve it with its own game. Alas, it turned out it was just a really poorly translated line and Gaspar wasn't supposed to be saying anything important.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 15:41.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo