Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion

Kotaku has a running summary of an discussion taking place over twitter over whether the Tiny Tina character in Borderlands 2 is racist, based on the white character's use of clichéd African-American slang. Some have expressed the opinion that this is "verbal blackface," and after originally resisting, lead writer Anthony Burch moved on to try to expand the discussion to see if he needed to re-work the character's dialog in future releases. Randy Pitchford's take on this is that it's not racist as long as it was not written by a racist: "@reverendanthony tina is not racist because you are not racist. You're a pillar of tolerance and inclusion." Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

140. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 7, 2013, 16:43 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:35:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:43:
Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 08:52:
Yes they are, though hard work is what makes those opportunities work.

Everyone doesn't have the same opportunities available to them though, you are missing the point. That would be fine because society will never be truly equal but when it's due to racism, classism and other factors is what people are talking about.

No kidding, that's why you need to work hard to attain said opportunities. Life isn't easy, and it never will be easy, it's going to be harder for some to get ahead, I'm not missing the point. I just don't have a bleeding heart for everyone who doesn't have everything they want.

So hard work is all it takes? Isn't that part of the mantra that doomed the GOP this year?

I can't fathom believing something so naive.

Do you think if we lined up the BluesNews posters by income we'd also line them up by how hard they work?
Do you think the coal miners in Kentucky making $20,000 per year are lazy?

If we look at the graduation rate for black people and see it's significantly below that of any other rate, is the only conclusion we can reach that they're a bunch of lazy jerks that don't work hard?
Isn't that racist?

You claim to have seen it all, but you're so naive it's impossible to believe. Go into an inner city school. See the parents, who are barely there. See the kids, who weren't read to as children. See them not do homework because no one other than the teacher gives a shit if they do or not (and, honestly, after a few years the teacher is probably so defeated that he doesn't care, either.)
When is this kid supposed to realize and start working hard? Are we really comfortable blaming an 8 year old for that?

And are you so insecure in your achievements that you are unwilling to believe you got some of them not due to hard work but due to the conditions you were born into?

And who's fault is that, mine? Sorry Beamer pass your guilt trip on someone else, I haven't had an easy life either and have worked for everything I have, but I suppose I don't count because my skin is white, so I must be privileged right? Sounds pretty racist huh?

And really stop putting words in my mouth, never once did I blame an 8 year old for anything. It's up to people, white or black or insert nationality here, to decide how to live their lives, not up to the government to hand hold them through life because they had it "tough"

No one called anyone lazy either, for someone who throws the strawman out anytime he can't debate something, you sure do throw out quite the number of strawmen yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo