Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Netflix to Deliver All 13 Episodes of ‘House of Cards’ on One Day. Feb 1, 2013, 19:15 Panickd

Actually Netflix has said that they have noticed that people who watch TV episodes on the service tend to consume them a season at a time. That is part of what prompted them to release House of Cards all at once. They have also said they intend to do the same with the new season of Arrested Development.

Doling out an episode at a time makes sense for TV. You've got airtime to fill and ads to sell against that airtime. But it also creates a system where writers need to make every episode a crisis so they can leave cliffhangers and hook viewers into next weeks episode. And if a show gets cancelled viewers are just left twisting in the wind which only creates bad feelings towards the networks. It's a tiring and crappy system with little creativity in it. With the season at a time system writers know they've got a guaranteed number of episodes to set things up and pay them off which I have no doubt will make for better storytelling. For networks trying to squeeze every last ounce of blood from any given stone it may not be financially viable to pay for an entire season upfront even if they do push them out one at a time but fortunately Netflix is in a different type of business. And as a bonus nothing put out on Netflix needs to meet a specific length requirement or have setups for commercial breaks. The story is paramount, as it should be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo