Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Open Beta

Grinding Gear Games announces today open beta testing is now underway for Path of Exile, their upcoming action/RPG. Since there will be no character wipes going forward, this can be considered a soft launch for the free-to-play game. Here's word:

Path of Exile is a PC online action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world. Featuring ethical microtransactions, the game is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win. Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

35. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 08:39 Undocumented Alien

Played for about 4 hours yesterday (slow work day...). I would have to say I'm coming around on the game a bit, it's like a combo of Diablo (2) + Guild Wars (1) as far as ARPG meets Instanced gaming with a few shared player areas. I got to the first little town area after beating up the big guy on the beach and was surprised to see other live players in the town, but, it was cool (as compared to games like D3 NOT having common instances).

As far as "cons" I agree with:

Sorry to keep airing complaints, there are many things I like about the game but little annoying things keep piling up. The combat in the game could really use some work too. One of the few things Diablo3 did right was the visceral feel of combat, launching zombies into space is always a riot. I understand they're going for a more grounded approach here so I don't need anything quite that over the top but my melee character has skills like Infernal Blow and Heavy Strike which are barely animated and the enemies just kind of flinch at it.

The combat needs a better feedback mechanism, sometimes it's hard to tell if my "Club" is actually hitting a MOB or not. It's not a deal breaker, but it could be improved.

I also agree with -

My main gripes are that it's too much zoomed in, even at the max distance

I would also like to zoom out a bit more, for an isometric (which I actually like) view camera, it needs to a be a bit higher. Again, not a deal breaker, but could be improved.

Other things that weren't straight forward for a PoE noob -

Took a few seconds to figure out what the currency was when I went to buy some items from the vendors, I find it strange you have to look in the inventory window to see how much wisdom you have to spend, be better if it were a displayed somewhwere above the inventory window or in the buy/sell window (at least I didn't see it, could be wrong).

What up with the armor? Not sure when to use straight armor/evasion/energy shield... I suppose it depends on what char type you will play? Armor for Tanks? Evasion for Rogues? Energy for Spell Casters?

Pretty good game, I think I will actually be playing it a bit more, try to get some friends in to do some coop stuff.

As an FYI - in the Open Beta the Town Portal only stays open for like 4 minutes... I was buying/selling stuff and went back to my portal only to see it gone, the forums stated that the portal only persists for about 4 minutes for the beta, should be regular in the release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo