Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 21, 2013, 16:04 jdreyer

The more modest-sounding components of the next XBox (compared to the Sony) could be an attempt to make the hardware pay for itself instead of having it subsidized by game sales (blade sales subsidizing razor costs). And it sounds like MS entertainment is at least breaking even, no? You'll never see the profit margins on games that you do on Windows or Office sales b/c the number of each product sold is orders of magnitude smaller.

The one thing MS absolutely has to do is prevent another RRoD scandal. The design MUST allow for adequate cooling, and it seems like the more modest components are a part of this strategy. Especially since they were selling the 360 at a loss, they took a bath every time they had to replace one.

And there's some logic to a strategy of going with lower specs. Hardware has become so powerful that it's really game design, not graphics, that has become the more important selling point. When I went from an Nvidia 460 to a GTX 670, I really didn't see a huge improvement in performance or fidelity. I'm glad I'm future-proof, and can throw everything on high without worry, but it didn't make a huge difference.

Also, by making a baseline that's lower that Sony's, MS can ensure that games will be made to their spec, then ported to Sony, and less often vice versa. And by having games developed natively to XBox, they'll end up looking as good as the Sony, despite the latter's better hardware. The XBox will be the lowest common denominator, while saving MS money on the hardware in the process. Also, developers will want to develop for XBox due to the ease of porting to the PC (a growing revenue stream), given the commonalities. It's more difficult to go from the PS to the PC.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo