Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor on Wildman

A Kickstarter update for Wildman follows up on news of layoffs at developer Gas Powered Games with a video from Chris Taylor explaining the situation at his company. He tells us that without the cuts, the company would have to immediately shut down if the Kickstarter failed, unable to fulfill any of its remaining obligations. Showing some emotion he says he was unwilling to gamble with people's livelihoods in this economy as the reason he mad that "tough decision." Chris then share another "tough decision," asking if he should continue the Kickstarter to see if the response to it improves so he can hire back the staff that wants to return, or shut it down and "call it done." They will tabulate votes from the comments to judge whether the campaign should continue.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 00:31 Morga

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 23:31:
I guess my head scratching issues is why go with a caveman theme? You go from a stick to a club+1 or a pebble to a stone? Do you get a dinosaur as a pet?

Wildman spans 200 thousand years of human history and goes into the future, which is ambitious.

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:10:
They explain rather plainly that the game is a mash-up of ARPG adventuring, RTS army deployment, and MOBA style battles. Simply a Diablo clone, it is not.

Yes they'll combine those elements to create an original game, which supports modding to create your own game-worlds, game-modes to play for free or sell.

Chris Taylor is a legend of the games industry, the creator of the classic Total Annihilation.

They made some mistakes with Demigod, Space Siege and Supreme Commander 2, but want to make it right by using the best elements for Wildman and backer input.

They're obviously in dire need of kickstarter funding, cause their other project Age of Empires Online ended prematurely. And I guess they can't find a publisher for Kings and Castles which costs much more to produce ($5+ million). So they had to cut-staff to stay afloat, cause Gas Powered Games was suffering financially.

By removing the publishers, they can directly serve the backers. With the success of Wildman they'll be able to rehire staff members.

People should give them the benefit of the doubt. The game concept of Wildman is original, they learn from past experience, have a very talented team, and will use input of backers who'll help shape Wildman into The game that many people want to play!

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2013, 00:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo