Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial

The SEGA Blog offers a first look at an upcoming television commercial for Aliens: Colonial Marines, Gearbox's upcoming first-person shooter. I keep trying to watch, but after owning a DVR for years, I keep reflexively skipping to the end.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 23:21 Wallshadows

@Flatline

1) I wondered this too. The first time we're able to see Hicks with his bandages is after he is on board the Sulaco and Ripley has rescued Newt but before she was aware that the Queen was onboard. The next scene with Hicks is when he is in the hypersleep tube but is fully bandaged but without a shirt and appears to be unconscious since they likely got him to medical.

So, either Bishop patched him up while Ripley was off saving Newt and made the call or he made the call after Ripley and Newt returned but only before the Queen was ejected in to space since it wouldn't really make sense to leave a distress to assume they're all KIA if he knew all of this information.

Last but not least on this particular issue, the USCM will only respond with a rescue pickup once a team is overdue by 17 days. In the game, however, they only respond to it 17 weeks after they get the distress signal. Something doesn't quite add up but I feel they'll use a big bad Company plot to explain it.

Either that or it's an incredibly huge error.

2) Hadley's Hope should have been obliterated. While there are likely structures still standing, I'm not sure how it would be in the state that's shown in CM unless it's another facility much further from HH.

3) Tin-foil hat thought is that the Company already sent a team to recover the crew on the Sulaco but even then, it's a stretch to wonder how the Aliens would have got there in the first place and without the Queen or her egg-laying apparatus, no eggs would have been stowed away and it's unclear as to how long a facehugger would be able to survive outside an egg. If a facehugger had time to sneak on board the Sulaco, doing so when Ripley and Newt boarded the dropship towards the end would be the best time for it to do so but I still kind of remain skeptical about this.

The long, implausible explanation would be that a facehugger snuck on board the Sulaca by way of the dropship, a second team was sent to investigate after the 17 days, they got fucked up, new Queen and Xenos populate the Sulaco and now the Company wants another go at it with more troops to return a live sample. This is where the 17 weeks later thing would kick in.

4) My understanding is that a fire or malfunction occurred and caused the Sulaco to jettison the hypersleep capsules which had life signs. It just happened to be near Fury 161. Alien 3 suggests that a facehugger is what caused this but that leads me back to the above dilemma although as CM is billed as a tie in between Aliens and Alien 3, it might be explained?

I'm going to reserve judgement on the overall story and plot until I play the game but the more I think about it, the more it feels as though a lot of compromises were made in order to shoehorn this title and that we, the fans, will likely be asked for a certain amount of suspension of disbelief in order for it to work. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out great or at least enjoyable but this is going to be the make or break for me and Gearbox.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 23:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo