Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2013, 08:34 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:20:
Lots of protest is illegal, like the occupy protest camping out in various parks across the nation. They have ordinances that the parks close after dark, but the protesters are still camped there. Also, when protesters chain themselves to the gates to nuclear power facilities, that's also illegal.

And I agree it should stay that way. But maybe this will result in punishments that aren't as draconian? When you lock yourself in protest to a gate to prevent entry to Walmart or a nuke plant for a few hours you will be arrested, and maybe fined a few hundred dollars, but jail time for such a protest is extremely rare (breaking into a nuke plant is another story, however). When protesters do a DDOS attack on a company the result is almost the same as locking yourself to a brick and mortar: shoppers can't access the site for a few hours. But the punishments are much more severe: up to 5 years in jail and a fine of $250K.

Most of the targets of Anon have been legitimately controversial entities: Scientology, the Australian gov't after it tried to censor the internet, the Tea Party, Master Card & Paypal for refusing to honor donations to Wikileaks, gov'ts of Tunisia and Iran during the Arab Spring, etc. Illegal? Sure, but so is speeding, but you don't expect to get fined $10,000K and spend 3 months in jail for doing so. A DDOS is inconvenient, and it can cost companies money, and it should carry a penalty, but they make a good argument that it's a legitimate form of protest and the current penalties seem too steep.

lol Master Card & Paypal for refusing to honor donations to Wikileaks. ROFLMAO

You know what else Anonymous does? Steal innocent people's credit card info among other things. They're a bunch of criminals parading as some sort of "freedom fighters"

It also costs these companies money when some douchenozzle snot nosed hacker DDOS'es a site, then those costs get passed on to consumers of said companies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo