Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Sale Encore

The Steam Website now features the promised encore of the Steam 2012 Holiday Sale. They have relisted a bunch of game sales to run for the next 48 hours.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:59 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:44:
Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:08:
Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".
What are you talking about?

They don't have stockholders to impose any such thing on them, they are privately owned.

They have a flat management structure, so no managers, or VPs of marketing or anything like that pushing crap down from on high.

Pretty sure that none of the useless laws passed last year by the useless government said "ZOMG YOU CANT HAVE FUN SALES"

Who exactly were you envisioning would impose something like that on them?

However, they did just last year hire their first economist from what I recall. Maybe they were letting him have a go at running the sales.

They don't have stockholders, true. But they have huge business partners. Maybe you could always realize your dreams without caring about any feedback from others, but trust me that not everyone is that lucky.
If business partners, on which you depend, express certain expectations, you'll sooner or later will have to reach an agreement. Also known as a compromise.

Maybe one the big ones didn't like all that spotlighting of indie titles in the holiday events 2 years ago?
At least that sounds far more reasonable to me than the simple "it stopped being fun".

My personal dreams and the feedback I get on them have nothing to do with Valve and steam and their partners lol.
I don't think valve cares much about what the other parties who sell on steam think about the sales of other games that aren't owned by the people complaining. Remember that prices (including the sales prices) on steam are ultimately decided on by the publishers. If valve bowed easily to things like pressure from companies like EA, why would EA have started pulling titles over in game purchases?

Valve could survive just fine on their own games and on indie games. And they may well end up doing so, if all the other big companies start doing their own platforms like EA has done. We already know that EA hates big sales on their own IP, and feels it devalues the IP.

And the indie games WERE still spotlighted this year. There were indie games on the dailies, on the flash, and on non front page sales. There was even a big pack of indie games spotlighted on the front page.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 21:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo