Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 4, 2013, 03:59 Jerykk

As for Dishonered, the game flat out in a loading screen says killing people = bad ending. It doesn't get much more binary than that. Would it have helped if they never said that "out of character"? Absolutely. But while I enjoyed the major characters' non-lethal falls (and will give them full credit for the inventiveness of them all), the tools you're given for a non-lethal or less-than-lethal game are sadly anemic compared to the utter artistry that you can engineer if you're going full lethal. Yhatzee has it right. Playing the game with minimal kills is boring as fuck, while playing the game with your whole tool kit is awesome sauce.

I've never understood why people keep saying that the game doesn't have enough non-lethal options.

Non-lethal options:
1) Blink
2) Bend Time
3) Dark Vision
4) Tranquilizer Darts
5) Choke-outs
6) Possession
7) Using weapons to cause sounds to distract enemies

The most interesting abilities are equally useful whether you're being lethal or not. Yes, a few of the weapons are exclusively lethal (sword, pistol, grenade and razorwire) but those weapons aren't that interesting to begin with.

I guess it comes down to playstyle preference. I like to be stealthy so killing or even incapacitating people wasn't an option for me. When I play stealth games, I basically try to be a ghost and leave no traces of my existence behind. I find this tremendously satisfying. But I guess if you don't like playing stealthy and instead want to go around killing everyone in dramatic fashion, the slightly reduced choice of weapons and abilities could be irritating. That said, you shouldn't let a 1 minute ending dictate how you play a 20+ hour game. Play the way you want to play and accept whatever repercussions may result.

Err... the game is supposed to make you question why you play modern war games. It has nothing to do with actual war, and everything to do with all the stereotypes of being the lone super gunman who goes in and saves the day after leaving a trail of corpses. Remember, your mission in The Line was to see if anyone was alive in Dubai. If so, you pull out and radio for help. In your first firefight you blow away that order, and it's so far gone by the end of the game that the loading screens point blank ask you if you remember the original goal of the game. Konrad is usually speaking directly to the player, it's just the main character who responds (in character) to keep things moving along.

There were two issues with their approach. Firstly, for the themes to have any impact, the game would require that I actually enjoy mowing down hordes of generic enemies. My only impetus to continue playing was the story, not the gameplay, so trying to make me question why I play shooters was kind of pointless. I don't even like military shooters or cover shooters. The story was literally the only reason I played Spec Ops. Secondly, the heavily linear and scripted nature of the game removed player agency. Without any meaningful control over the events of the game, it's difficult for me to feel invested in it. Sure, you occasionally got to make some morally ambiguous choices but most of the time, you were just along for the ride.

As for gameplay, they could have done much more interesting things than mimic every other third-person cover shooter. They could have made it an open-world survival game where you have to eat, drink and sleep and where resources play a vital role in the choices you make. It could have had a faction system where you get to choose your allies and enemies and decide the fate of Dubai yourself. There are plenty of interesting things they could have done. Claiming that they made a generic military shooter in order to reinforce the game's critique of military shooters doesn't really hold up.

I mean, I died a lot, but never felt stuck. I felt plenty of other games I played this year were harder.

The fact that you died at all makes the game harder than 99% of games these days.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 04:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo