Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 9, 2012, 12:08 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 02:14:
I bought a Bulldozer CPU (the 6300 I think - I'm not at home so I can't check) for my new build and it is extremely fast; certainly a massive upgrade over the first-gen Phenom I was running. I've seen the benchmarks and it's clear that without overclocking the Bulldozer chip can't touch an i5, but seeing as how I got it, the mobo, and 8 gigs of memory for around the same money as just the i5 would have cost me, I am thrilled with what I got for the money. I have always used AMD cpu's and have never really been disappointed by them - while slower than Intel, they have always been so much cheaper that I could afford far better video cards and motherboards. The choice was made especially easy for me as cpu power became less and less important (relative to the GPU) as time went on. I will miss AMD CPU's when they inevitably disappear, and not just because of the lack of competition for Intel.

I get a lot of that, but there was a shift not too long ago where cpu speed is once again a top need, it's not as GPU heavy as it used to me, imo. I've had both, I always go price/performance, however if they are close I do go Intel/Nvidia because they are the better standard. I haven't owned AMD stuff for quite a while now, even though their VC's are right there with NVidia, but since that is so close I go with the better supported brand.

But here is the story teller, single thread performance:
AMD fx 8350 scores 1533 (Their best)
Intel i5-3570 scores 2014

This also gives an interesting picture:
Intel vs AMD @ 3ghz

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 12:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo