Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 09:03 Verno

Another Windows 8 mess and a shame that Prophets excellent and non-biased post was drowned out, it really deserves another read

Windows 8 doesn't really perform better than Windows 7, most benchmarks have them within a 2% differential margin. It also doesn't necessarily boot faster, it can even boot slower on many non-UEFI systems. I've measured a literal 1-2 second difference on several systems, not exactly back of the box type stuff. Having an SSD is going to make a greater difference than Windows 8 ever could. People keep harping about Vista being Windows 7 and that's true to some degree but Windows 7 pared down Vista quite a bit and fixed several of its more noticeable mistakes. Windows 8 doesn't really solve any problems from Windows 7, it actually manages to create a few by mixing a user interface that is literally at odds with the desktop.

Metro sucks for desktop users, you need to memorize several hotkeys just use it efficiently. Hot corners are an awful concept, the app management is rudimentary 2 simultaneous apps with statically set resizes? It is a disservice to mouse and keyboard users, too many tablet concessions. It can be fixed up but the question is will they bother or go full bore with tablet nonsense?

If you knew better you could probably talk about any feature from Windows 8 in detail other than "file copy and task manager!" but no, the improvements people always mention are copy and pasted from reviews because they do not even understand what they're using actually using. I doubt any of you have even used storage spaces or know what they did to the memory heap, you're ratting off bullet points and regurgitated talking points to justify your personal upgrades

I don't think that people need to code the operating system to talk about it but I do agree there is a lot of parroting going on. I dropped a point about the printer model being rewritten in the last topic but it turned out I was mistaken and this was done in Windows 7 yet I see someone repeating it here as if it was gospel. People keep bringing up the tickless kernel from an Arstechnica article but it is essentially meaningless to the end user and performance itself. Storage Spaces *sucks*, it is the worst storage pooling solution on the market, people are better off with any other third party program.

For $15 its a bargain because you can treat it like a cheap copy of Windows 7. Of course this ignores how ridiculously easy it is to permanently pirate Windows 7 but I'll assume we're all better citizens here As for the articles, they are not all written by haters, that's just absurd. There have been too many now all saying the same thing and if the CEO of Asus is a hater then Microsoft is really in trouble.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo