Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gollop on X-COM Remake

Eurogamer.net talks with XCOM: Enemy Unknown producer Jake Solomon and original X-COM designer Julian Gollop about how the new installment in the series lives up to its forebears. "I think Firaxis has done a great job," Julian Gollop told them. "The game is addictive and absorbing, not to mention quite challenging on the classic difficulty setting."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 16:20 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 14:28:
Darks wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 11:43:
It not just about the AI cheating in this game. my issues come from the lack of functionality in the game. Example being the lack of a proper belt to carry items. One open slot to carry a grenade, health or a scope that should be part of an upgrade to the weapon, frustrating canít even begin to explain this.

Plus the lack of the AI attacking your base, the lack of building more than one base to assault aliens when attacks occur. Always being pounded by three attacks at the same time and having to make a choice each and every time an attack occurs. That to me was one of the more frustrating parts in the game. Who do I help and who do I piss off and lose support from. Lame!!

These are just some of the issues I have, I wonít even get into the combat and move and shoot limitations and how stupid that gets at times and lack off healing.

Yeah, I miss the base invasions too. That was one of my favorite parts of the original: starting out in random locations, scrambling to form a coherent defense, protecting your scientists.

The lack of equipment carrying is a bit limiting. Definitely "gamey", like the three simultaneous abductions you have to choose from. On the other hand, you're able to throw grenades with perfect accuracy, so that kind of makes up for the lack of them, and also spamming grenades as a strategy.

Not sure what you mean by "lack of healing" though. A properly upgraded Support class unit and medkit work pretty well.

The Healing spray you get in the game is limited, and it does not help your Marines once back in base to be healed. It still takes days if not weeks to get a Marine back. So the Marine that was i nthe field fighting injured now goes back to the base and is not able to fight again becasue hes to hurt. Okay, how was able to keep on fighting i nthe field than? Ughh!

Iím not saying that I hated this game; I like some aspects of it. But it had many short falls that kept me from really liking this game. Some Iíve already pointed out.

One thing that really bothered me is how your chars would miss their targets all the time. I get that itís a leveling up thing and earning it makes you better. But these guys are supposed to be the Elite of the Elite that would have been handpicked from every corner of the Earths Elite Forces.

So these guys should be ready locked and cocked. No excuses for a sniper to miss as much as they do. Plus loading your weapon takes all your move points? Utter crap, canít move and shoot unless your higher levels. Thereís a bunch of things, I canít recall every little thing, but if this game had more of Jagged Alliances mechanics the game would have been so much better. Oh yea, crappy camera to, moving in 90 degree arcs. WTF!! Whatever happed to the full on move it like you want it cameras?

To me, the game felt unfinished and not a lot of thought went into the mechanics of this game. The devs should have taken a few more months to get the fine tuning down.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo