Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: Nintendo's Fils-Aime: Microsoft, Sony need to react to us Nov 28, 2012, 18:07 Axis

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 17:21:
Axis wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 17:01:
Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 09:28:
Axis wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 09:23:
Julio wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 07:00:
Axis wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 20:17:
Wii 2006 skepticism, meet Wii U 2012 skepticism. I doubt your alone Lokust.

However I think you'll be proven quite wrong.

I barely use my Wii compared to my PS3, Xbox360 or PC. Wii-U smells like failure.

The Wii sold more units than the PS3 and the xbox 360. The Wii is the only console actually doing things differently, and that sells.

And, as people have pointed out, it only made money for Nintendo. Third party games sold like crap, the attach rate was crap, and sales have fallen off a cliff so hard that Nintendo has lost enormous amounts of money over the last numerous quarters.

Beamer, you get the "I have no idea what I'm talking about" award in more posts than anyone else here on BN. Well Cutter and Dades come pretty close.

Hey, maybe if they chime in here you guys can race for it!

What part am I wrong about?
Randy Pitchford said, just this week, that it only made money for Nintendo.
Here's an article, albeit from 2010, about how the Wii lags in attach rate.
Here's a list of the best-selling Wii games, the first of which isn't published by Nintendo is Just Dance 3 at #15
And here's an article about how Nintendo has experienced losses for H1 2012, hundreds of millions of dollars, and was forced to reduce its net income estimate by 82%, obliterating its stock price

Not sure what part of my post makes you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe I exaggerated, but developers ARE complaining it only made money for Nintendo, third party games didn't sell very well for it, the attach rate lagged behind the other systems (and is light years behind if you discount first party titles), and sales have fallen off so hard that Nintendo has lost millions of dollars.

What part of that are you disputing?

Well you are exaggerating, and because you admitted that I'll meet you halfway and admit you are not entirely incorrect.

'Many' 3rd party sales weren't as lucrative on the wii compared to full HD systems, but for good reasons. Chronological summary as to why? Launch, expectations, capabilities, target audience, advertising.

That's all that held any of them back, all of which are rectified with the Wii U. Launch is and continues to be an overwhelming success. Games don't need to be 'dumbed down' now either, so expectations and capability is maxxed. And it gets a target audience from the 'serious' console gamers, to social networking fiends.

As for your links, sure there were lots of "oh noz" wii articles from 2010, was just a spurt as you'll have that with a console that went from zero expectation to overwhelming success.

That second link, just scroll down you'll see tons of 3rd party games that did equal or better on the Wii than on other platforms - the AAA games - plenty of data out there on specifics if you look for it. The indie games did even better - likely better on the WII than any other console (and for the Wii U, indies are being treated like GOLD). However it's a given that exclusive titles do the best if they are well done, so no surprise here that the first 14 exclusive nintendo titles on the best selling console sold the most.

And the nintendo sales losses? Anyone in the industry can point emphatically to the terribad 3ds. Bad move on Nintendo, that's their loss. I also think this $99 wii is gonna fail, just an educated guess I'm surprised Nintendo didn't see it (or maybe they just don't have much to lose with the offering).

The Wii came out of the "Eww its gonna suck" and blew past expectations in many areas, and fell short in others. Mainly it just wasn't as capable, so it missed out on the harder core console crowd that dominates the xbox and ps3 livingrooms, and if devs were willing to sell a 'dumbed down version' it usually didn't do as well for obvious reasons.

The Wii U is gonna dominate, already blowing the doors of people's expectations. It has and will have hiccups, but the titles are getting announced. It brings some new innovation on older innovation in a stale console market, and there's millions of "Mii's" owners out there waiting to pounce.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo