Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's Thanksgiving here in the U.S., so happy holiday to all who are celebrating, and best wishes to all in the hope that you have reason to be thankful even if this is not celebrated where you are. Things are well underway here in the BlueTower, as the Chex Mix is mixed and the turkey is nearing perfection even as I type these words. I'm looking forward to spending time with the family, watching some football, and lapsing into a food-induced coma. We also have thanks to express, and most appropriate to this space, thanks to all of you for your support of this site over all these years.

Speaking of football, here are last week's results: Batman 12-1 (I don't think we can give credit for posting a Thursday winner on Sunday), Cutter 12-2, Jivaro 11-2 (skipped Eagles/Skins), mag and Blue 11-3, and Creston and Verno 10-4. Here are my picks for this week: I guess we'll have to see if posting so late means we just shouldn't count the early game: Texans, Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks, Falcons, Bengals, Steelers, Titans, Broncos, Bears, Chargers, Saints, Rams, Giants, and Panthers.

Thankful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Humbug 2.
Soccer Balls 2.
Stories: Printer ink that's pricier than champagne.
Discovery Cancels Dirty Jobs. They should have Mike Rowe tell the crew.
Chevy Chase is leaving NBC's sitcom 'Community'. People too close to liking him again.
Media: Thanksgiving Turkey Cooked with Flashlights.
1980s Video Game Companies Factory Footage.
Wedding Photographer's Hair Catches Fire.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Pure Evil Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: Puerto Rican boxing champ Camacho brain dead after shooting.
Twinkies bakers say they'd rather lose jobs than take pay cuts. Thanks Cutter.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 23:38 Cutter

JFK wanted to pull out of Vietnam. He was on a course of de-escalation. He felt America had no business there, as the initial involvement was on behalf of the Joint Chiefs. They - he and Bobby - were also going heavy after the mob. And there was also the natural resources angle where he wanted to vastly increase national parkland, restrict mining and oil drilling. And there was the Civil Rights Act to end Jim Crow. And there was much more. In short he pissed off a lot of people in the corridors of power who desperately wanted to see him gone. He was really trying to do the right thing for the people which is why they murdered him and all who do so - MLK, Gandhi, etc.

That's not to say the man was a saint by any stretch but he was far and away the best president in a very long time. He really cared about working people, minorities, advancing America scientifically - NASA, set the stage for the moon landings, and a ton of other stuff, and so on. That's why they referred to it as Camelot. There was a tremendous amount of hope then that has since been lost. Jesus, if nothing else he brought the world back from the edge of WWIII. Can you imagine if someone like Reagan, Dubya or even Romney had to deal with something like the Cuban missile crisis? We would not be here discussing it today.

LBJ escalated the Vietnam war and all his positives were holdovers from Kennedy's legacy. LBJ was more interested in the office than the people.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo