Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Art

The Kickstarter Page for Elite: Dangerous has a non-gameplay trailer from the upcoming Elite sequel. This features Frontier Developments' David Braben discussing the history of the franchise, and expresses great enthusiasm for the opportinities for a modern game using procedurally generated content like its forebears. The accompanying update also includes some concept art and renderings to give the first sense of the visual direction they envision.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 10:20 The Half Elf

ASeven wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:46:
Taken from here:

Copied from my EG postÖÖ

I love elite, but I want to raise some concerns about this kickstarter and the company behind it.

Itís been in development for over 10 years (14 years at present), like duke nukem forever.
It is being made by a proper commercial entity, like duke nukem forever.
The company has produced a couple of good hits (lost winds) amongst a sea of mediocrity (generic kinect stuff), like duke nukem forevers parent company.

There are no screenshots, concept art or any assets at all. Unlike Duke nukem Forever, which did have concept art and a trailer video.

As it stands at the moment itís on course to be even more vapour like than DNF. Itís already past the same timescale.
Ask yourself, why would a company that has been around for years suddenly need money upfront without proof of anything. Especially, after promising the game from as far back as 1998.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/qanda-david-braben-from-elite-to-today-6162140

This is a cash grab to keep the studio going for a few more months. Traded on the back of a promise, looking at nostalgia.

The company accounts show that from 2009 they have blown through almost £5m in 2 years (down to £1m) and at that rate will be bankrupt by next year.
The shares have dropped £4m in a year. And the liabilities have more than doubled.

This £1.2m kickstarter is to make sure they can get through to the next financial year. Nothing more. The expected delivery date is AFTER they have run out of cash even with kickstarter backing.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/02892559

Most damning of all their last game (announced 2008) has yet to materialise. Beyond a trailer from a few years back.

I really do want to be proven wrong as Iíd love another elite, but Iím afraid the writing is on the wall. This will most likely be a high profile kickstarter failure. And the collapse of a company to boot.

First off it has NOT been in development for 10 years. The idea of making the game HAS been around for 10 years.
Secondly look at the BBC interview you can see the game (or parts of it) on the monitors, and also in the latest kickstarter video.
Thirdly MANY game companies have mentioned games that have poofed into the sunset. Obsidian had a unreal engine game that was killed off, GHOST, Prey 2, etc. If Frontier was the first company to EVER do this ya may have a point.

And finally for the record how about this.
A list of the company's games.

I don't think they are hurting for money, but finally found a way to make the game PC Gamers have been begging for, for over a decade.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo