Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Trailer

This trailer offers a look at the "Beast of America" in BioShock Infinite, Irrational Games' upcoming first-person shooter sequel (thanks nin via Kotaku). Word is: "See more of the streets (and skies) of Columbia, new ways to use your Sky-Hook and how Elizabeth can be your wingman in combat."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Oct 21, 2012, 23:40 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 22:07:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 21:45:
It's called aim assist..? If the E3 2011 demo is any indication, the skyline system has tons of assists when you jump from rail to rail (to the point where you can't actually miss) and when aiming at enemies. It has nothing to do with a console's hardware capabilities and everything to do with basic usability design. The PC version will have the same skyline assists as the console versions. I imagine the PC version will allow you to turn off the aim assist but that's pretty much the only difference. If a console game like BF3 or Halo can handle vehicles, I'm pretty sure consoles can handle a completely scripted rail system.

I'm not really sure why you think the multiplayer implementation would be hugely different between platforms. Console games tend to use P2P hosting, sure, but a lot of PC games do too. In fact, console multiplayer may actually be easier to implement because you know everyone is using the same hardware and software, whereas on PC you can have wildly varying hardware and software configurations.
Sure aim assist has always been a console mainstay, due to one of many of it's weaknesses. I'm thinking of things like physics, which among other things (power, graphics and networking) make it MUCH easier to implement something like this on a PC. It just seems like an obvious limitation and as mentioned there isn't any foundation for a console doing this I recall. Yet fast moving multiplayer with grappling? It's been done on the PC, but afaik it didn't work well at all on the console, Just Cause 2 (now up to 1000 peeps).

Unless I'm missing/forgetting something, which is highly possible (more likely common). ;)

From a physics standpoint, the rails are simple. The player attaches to a static, non-kinematic rail and moves in a set trajectory at a set speed along that rail. It's really not complex at all because there aren't a lot of variables involved. GTA4, Read Redemption Redemption and Max Payne 3 have to do more complex physics calculations and those were all designed for consoles. The skylines in Infinite are essentially rollercoasters. There's nothing dynamic about them at all. The only thing the player can do is attach and detach from them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo