Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?

Kotaku has some screenshots claimed to be from a marketing survey that suggest that the upcoming shooter based on the X-COM series may now be a third-person shooter after being announced as an FPS. According to their unverified source, these shots came along with questions about the appeal of such a game as a $30 download for Xbox 360 and PS3, with no mention of a PC edition, suggesting a downgrade from a AAA game to a downloadable console title. They received the following no comment from 2K: "We have not made any new announcements regarding the XCOM title currently in development at 2K Marin, and it is our policy not to comment on rumors or speculation."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

34. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 2, 2012, 06:44 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 03:31:
Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 18:39:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 17:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:53:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:28:
The gameplay in that video looked totally pedestrian and a lot like... well... dumbed down call of duty.

And the new pictures look like they took the previously available artwork, compressed the hell out of it, and slapped it back up in all it's ugly glory.

Except with some kind of pausing and action points I didn't have time to watch but can't imagine is a great idea.

Which was done in some James Bond game or another, Brothers in Arms, and a bunch of other games. Situational awareness isn't terribly new.

But it's basically a pause menu to activate all the nifty squad powers you get. Your "action points" is just a mana bar.

I mean, it was done in Fallout, too, but Fallout had so many other things going on that I actually enjoyed combat being taken away.
Again, haven't watched this video, but the brief bit I did see looked slow. No other way to describe it. Not deep, slow.

Pausing/slowing down time to let you strategize and manage your squad worked fine in Mass Effect, Dragon Age and every Infinity Engine RPG.

As for the XCOM shooter, it just seemed boring to me. It didn't really have any tension and appeared to be completely linear and scripted, two things that go against what XCOM stands for.

Yes, but only one of those was a shooter, and its combat aspects weren't terribly good. We can list plenty of games that were real time with pausing, but none really compare to what the XCOM FPS is, given that they're deep RPS games and not FPS games...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo