Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt

A tweet by Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson relates an exchange with Microsoft about Windows 8 and the indie sandbox game: "Got an email from microsoft, wanting to help 'certify' minecraft for win 8. I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform." He follows this expressing his distaste for the process and the new OS: "I'd rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way.." Thanks Computer and Video Games.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2012, 11:52 Rigs

Is that...is that an IMAGE on the news page?!? SACRILEGE! Who are you and what have you done with the real Blue?! HERETIC! EVERYONE! GET HIM SO WE CAN BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! He must be interrogated to find out where the real Blue is! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Alien

*ahem*

Anyway, I can't really see any reason why anyone would want to 'upgrade' to Windows8. Seriously, it has nothing worth getting and is just a royal pain in the ass to deal with. At least previous Windows versions had some kind of gimmick or feature that made upgrading at a consideration. Even WindowsME had some features that were desirable like the integration of the NT code base which meant everything ran smoother, and even looked smoother. We won't mention that it was a total disaster and lack of planning and extensive testing meant that what should have been the equivalent of an early WindowsXP turned into one of the worst Windows versions ever. Vista was ok, I'm not sure where all the absolute scathing hatred really comes from as from what I've dealt with, the only real flaw in it was it's excessive resource requirements and use (ie being a bloated pig) and some nagging issues regarding older or brand new hardware, mostly coming down to drivers either not mature enough or just non-existent all together. There are several large bugs/undocumented 'features' that managed to skip through but those were corrected with Service Packs, for the most part. Again, I don't see where the hate comes from, except for those wanting to look cool and jumping on the bandwagon. That said, I see absolutely NO reason why anyone should be using Vista anymore anyway. Windows7 is what Vista should have been when first released and has totally and completely superseded it. I actually respect MS very much for taking the criticism of Vista (however unfounded a lot of it may have been) and instead of pretending that there was nothing wrong or coming up with some lame excuse, set about fixing the problems quickly. While they may not have publicly admitted that Vista was a failure, they nevertheless treated it as such and did what had to be done for Windows7. For all the hate that people have for Vista, there should be just as much commendation for MS getting Windows7 out quickly and right. With all this in mind, it makes one wonder what is going through their heads in regards to Windows8? Seriously, who came up with this shit? With Windows7, it looked as if MS was trying to emulate Apple in many ways, with Aero and various features and apps that closely mirrored what was on the Mac. Then, as if waking up from a dream, MS totally changed their course, throwing Aero completely OUT. Not toning it down, not changing it or making it more efficient. No, they THREW IT OUT completely! WHY? I can find no good reason WHY they had to do that. Or even WHY they'd WANT to do that! Something happened after Windows7's release that changed the course MS was steered on. Was it time travel? Did a future, near-death Bill Gates come back from the future and change history? Did Steve Ballmer come back from the future to see just how bad he could fuck up MS and still have it's customers crying out for more? I mean, what? Are they trying to destroy the solid foundation they'd started building with Windows7? Windows8 could have been so much more, so much better. Aero could have been streamlined, the Start menu could have been made more efficient and with the power available with today's hardware, Aero could have looked good!

But no. No, instead of all that, we have a version of Windows that looks like and treats it's users like a bunch of 2nd graders made it. Instead of complex, sleek menus done with the latest graphical techniques, we have Metro, so dumbed down and stupid looking that it's embarrassing just to look at screenshots of it, let alone work on it. Now the whole world can say, in unison, 'Where the HELL is my Start menu?!?'

Maybe that was the whole point. Maybe it's a big joke. And just maybe Steve Jobs possessed Steve Ballmer after selling his soul to the devil...I mean, could that be any more outlandish than if I showed you screenshots of Windows8 back in 2004 and said this is the future of Windows? You'd either laugh in my face or punch it, but you'd never believe it... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo