Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 22, 2012, 11:36 Bhruic

The UI is quite annoying, imo. Definitely a step backwards from the first. There's no reason, for example, they can't have all of the skill trees on screen at the same time, rather than forcing me to scroll between them. It worked fine on the first one, there's no real change to the way the trees are displayed on the second, so it's really sloppy UI work to add an extra step in order to make selections. Ditto with the inventory system, it's a real mess. I'm sure they work better on consoles, but for the PC, they are horrible.

The game itself is pretty similar to the first, and is enjoyable from that perspective. The plot is - unbelievably - worse than the first. At least in the first, when you were a Vault Hunter, that's what you were doing - hunting for the vault. Without getting into spoilers, let's just say that in the first, what, 20 hours of gameplay? - I've been called "Vault Hunter" fequesntly, but have done no actual looking for a vault. Now, admittedly, the plot isn't a super-important facet of a game like this, so it's a relatively minor point, but it's still a bit annoying.

The items are decent for the most part, but my personal opinion is that they've gone overboard on the "trying to find different stats to have to ensure weapon 'variety'". One or two new stats are decent - the shield recharge timer for example - but a lot of them feel like they were added purely for the sake of having more options, not because they actually added anything. Still, there's lots of loot to be found, and you can generally find better stuff as you go, so that aspect of the game is mostly unchanged.

My biggest annoyance with the game is probably with the damage scaling. You'll be fighting some enemies, and in small numbers they aren't much challenge, but then you'll come across badass varieties of specific enemies that can just one-shot you. Sometimes unavoidably. They seem to make a point of forcing you to rely on second-wind, where before it was just a lifeline in case you got overwhelmed.

Overall I'd probably say that the game is a slightly worse version of the original. If you liked the first, you'll almost certainly like this one, if you didn't, you won't. They really seemed to struggle on trying to improve the game, and for the most part didn't seem to, but they didn't really do that much damage to the formula either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo