Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:46 Verno

searching has improved (esp. in the Start Screen)

Debatable. The grouping of results should be customizable, some people need complexity pared down and other people have large installs where they need things indexed into groups. Many users do not know to hit the down arrow and literally believe search results don't exist because they aren't in the "App" category.

there are already apps out there to allow the Start Menu to appear, Hyper-V 3 is included in the Pro version, the added storage options are better, etc.

That sounds more like just rattling off features from a bullet point list. The usefulness of many features is highly subjective and I'd argue few of them are really going to be install motivators even in combination.

The problem is that people can't stand change. If you spent a few days with it (not an hour and just flat out comment that it sucks without even trying it), it might just catch on for you. Heck, we did that for all of these other OS's.

Many people don't like change but something people hate is change where it makes no sense. You are ignoring the fact that a Metro style shell for tablets is literally at odds by design with a desktop interface. In every aspect - display of information, user interaction, discoverability and etc. This is why choice and customization are important and in the past Microsoft was a lot smarter about that. It is not unreasonable for people to want a choice here, particularly when Metro is obviously aimed at tablet users and makes little sense for desktop users. Asking people to not only learn a new interface (with its own troublesome set of design flaws for desktop use) but bounce between the new and old isn't very reasonable, particularly when we're talking about Mom and Pop type users who will end up with this preinstalled.

Third party shells do not inherently fix the issue either. Metro can't really be ignored, you will continually run into even with average (work) user level workflow. What's more troubling is the presumption that they want to take this even further at some point despite making so many significant mistakes and having shown no sign of listening to developer and consumer feedback.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2012, 14:54.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo