Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2012, 21:03 Rigs

Ain't gonna happen...at least initially. Somehow I see the PS4 as being true to one of the previous rumors, that it will be 'modular'...to a degree. What I mean is essentially how you see game studios that work on franchises like Mario or HALO, where they use the same hardware each time but each game looks better and better. The difference between, say, HALO 3 and HALO Reach is striking, but it's the same hardware powering it. With the PS4, I think Sony is trying to cut down on the time needed for dev studios to learn and be comfortable with the hardware (especially seeing how the PS3 is allegedly so hard to code for) and there by giving us games that don't need two or three prequels to get to where they might be at the tail-end of a normal console life-cycle, like HALO 4. I think between updated BIOS/firmware/OS and possibly introducing, for the first time, a console that can be 'upgraded', say with a new graphics chip or 'expansion pak' (like was always dreamed about in previous consoles but never really utilized), we'll see things like 4k support and maybe larger Blu-Ray disc support or more RAM for the video hardware. If you think about it, there's a lot of ways they could introduce new features to a 'static' console in this way and still keep it viable for those that don't (or can't) upgrade, say programming for both versions, only new features being available on upgraded modules.

I mean, why not? They really haven't gone down this road before, to any great degree, and as long as everything is kept in-house and they keep the ability for every game to be played whether the console has been 'upgraded' or not (no exclusive titles!) then I don't see why it can't be successful. They have different sized hard drives for consoles now, why not different video chips/cards? Why not more RAM? Don't make it as complex and difficult as a normal PC, just have some sort of cart or modular box/pack that just plugs in with a snap, like the expansion ports of old that were almost never used. The gaming public wasn't ready for different hard drives and such back then. The biggest thing going was different peripherals like joysticks/gamepads, light guns and 3D-glasses. Since the industry has matured and gamers, for the most part, are more technically inclined (at least the ones that would care about upgrading anyway), this next console generation would be a good time to introduce some type of modular upgrade system. By doing this, a console generation may last not 7-10 years but possible 12-15, depending on tech breakthroughs in the meantime. Something to think about, eh?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo