Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Confessions from the Most Corrupt Apple Store in America. Aug 22, 2012, 18:52 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 17:02:
Wow, WTF. So glad I don't own any Apple products. Of course it's possible to encounter douchebags at any retail shop, but the image Apple promulgates just seems to breed contempt.

I don't like Apple or the kind of smug customer base they breed but to be fair, this is a story from Gizmodo, one of the biggest hack sites on the Internet and it's all through conveniently "anonymous" sources. Coming from them, there's as good a chance this is complete BS as not.

That said, I used to be a manager within Geek Squad and this is not at all limited to Apple stores. Retail is shit work and stores hire the cheapest staff they can. Combined with the disgusting, patronising culture these companies operate with, that usually results in inept, apathetic staff who are only interested in doing what they have to do in order to get a paycheque. When a customer is rude to them (either rightly or wrongly), often there first reaction is for revenge and thus, crap like what's in the story happens.

At the Best Buy store I was once assigned to (part of Best Buy Canada which is head and shoulders above the US group in terms of service quality), we had multiple techs who screwed up customer machines worse (cause they didn't know what they were doing) and never held to account for it, multiple guys were caught stealing and they were always bitching about customers, many of whom were just upset that they brought a computer in, waited two weeks, got it back in worse shape and were still expected to pay for it.

This crap is why retail (at least in electronics) is dying off. If you want to sell expensive products but hire staff who will work for barely more than minimum wage, this is the kind of skill and commitment to customers you will get. Pay human wages, get talented people and build up customer loyalty and you'll do better in the long run. Best Buy et al. are learning this and once the fashion bubble around Apple products bursts, they'll learn it too.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo