Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Apologies for the late start today: MrsBlue has been home this week as she starts her new job on Monday (we never did get to take advantage of our free access to Disney, either), which has thrown off what passes for a schedule around here. Things should be back on track next week.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Acorn Story.
The Expendables: Deploy and Destroy.
Links: World’s most expensive speakers. Riggght. Thanks HARDOCP.
Stories: West Nile aerial attack creates controversy in virus-stricken Dallas.
Media: OMG! I just dropped my brand new iMac.
Amazing Acoustics! Halo theme sung in an oil chamber.
100 Greatest Maniacal Movie Laughs.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 14:34 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 23:51:
Current Build:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: WD 1 TB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: SyncMaster 226BW,SyncMaster Magic CX226BW(Digital)
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System: Windows XP

I got the Dual Core that you can OC and it is at 3.1 right now. My 8800GTS 640MB still runs like a champ and there isn't much I "can't run" as far as current games, unless it doesn't support XP. I am just looking for the next best thing. My current install is about 6-7 years old. That is a DAMN GOOD run......

Going to keep this rig "as is" and build a new one without any left over parts. Been a while since I had a side by side setup, and my xp box does a lot of programs that aren't avail or won't work as well with win7, so no reason to toss it and I can multitask and the wife can use this one as well.

/.thanks jd, I will probably go with the i5 on your recommendation....

You probably could get another year+ out of that system with a new video card and some RAM, but at it is probably best to put that money into a new build.

I also think the i5 is the best bang for the buck, and I'd recommend getting 16GB of RAM. Stick with Win7 Home unless you need something that Win7 Pro has. I also don't think an SSD is worth the price to shave a few seconds on boot time. I have the 1.5 TB WD Black drive and it boots pretty damn fast already. Boot times don't bother me since I don't sit around and wait for it to boot anyway.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo