Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

games.on.net - Supporting the PC: Itís okay to get upset about poor console ports, but do the right thing anyway.
This is why, if you support PC gaming, and especially if youíre one of the people who actually signed the petition, you should do the right thing and buy the game. If the game sells well, itíll encourage other publishers to think about doing the same. It might convince more publishers to take their games to our favourite platform, and, hopefully, theyíll take the time to properly optimise them.

If it sells badly, itís just yet another nail in the coffin of publisher confidence in the platform. And thatís the last thing we need.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

43. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 23:38 Jerykk

Icewind wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 19:07:
God, when are people going to get it into their thick skull that buying something you know isn't helping the hobby actually makes things worse since the publisher figures they can get away with it.

If you let them believe we're ok with this, they will continue pushing out shoddy ports. It's like an abused wife that doesn't call the cops on her husband. If you don't put your foot down you'll never see a positive result. The culprit will continue using you because they know you'll allow them to get away with it.

Sadly, it is often a lose-lose situation for PC gamers. If we buy the crappy ports, the publishers get the message that it's okay to make crappy ports. If we don't buy the crappy ports, the publishers get the message that there's no PC market for their games. Publishers with lots of experience on the platform are less likely to believe the latter, since they have examples of PC games that sold well. However, given Namco's inexperience with the platform, I wouldn't be surprised if they misconstrued Dark Soul's failure as a lack of interest from PC gamers rather than a lack of quality on Namco's behalf.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo