Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

140. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 19, 2012, 00:47 Beamer

D-Rock wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 17:25:
Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 13:56:
Or is it because they're born into such poverty and such a culture where change is impossible because, by the time they're old enough to even realize a change is needed, it's already too late?

This is unfortunate and happens too much -- even in this country. With an attitude where you hear words like "impossible" and "too late" that guarantees change won't happen. That's probably the majority attitude in that type of environment.

A minority percentage of that population will make it out of there to live very successful and healthy lives. Every once in while you'll see a news story about those successes. Why not recognize those positives? It is possible to make a change for the better, even in the most dire circumstances.

Dude, my sister teaches in an impoverished neighborhood. She's been to the homes of these students. They apartment buildings have bullet holes in the doors, used condoms in the stairwells, beer cans in the hallways. The parents are absentee and just don't care. Absolutely no one is telling these children that an education is important. The teachers are ignored when the parents don't reinforce what they say. The kids repeat a grade a few times then just stop showing up around 12 or 13. Sometimes courts can force them back, but then they'll stop at 16. No one ever told them they have a chance. No one ever told them education matters.

By the time they realize it's a mistake, if they ever do, they're so far beyond any kind of hope. You can't, at 25, decide that you'll get a GED and go to a college that matters enough to change anything. And, by and large, these people have no support structure that even makes them think things are possible for them.

So, special events that single them out in particular can help educate them that they actually do have hope. But you seem to think those events are awful. We shouldn't have support conferences, no, because that's whining.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo