Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

40. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2012, 09:08 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 23:50:
A quick Google shows that the Optiplex you linked has a 305W PSU and no room for a dual-slot card or anything passively cooled. And 2GB of RAM doesn't leave much room for anything other than Windows 7.

Sometimes I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

305 Watts is plenty for a 75 Watt GPU.

Windows 7 can run on 512MB... granted, swapping to disk with basically opening 1 decent sized app. Vista couldn't. 2GB, while not ideal, will run most games just fine. Most of the OS will swap to disk. It is the games with the memory leaks that will be an issue.

Again... the point was a system, without integrated graphics, that could play games decently, AT A CONSOLE'S PRICE.

It definitely wasn't a recommendation. It was a proof of concept.

One can find a $200 machine (it doesn't have to be the one that I quickly found), and slap a modern graphics card in it that doesn't require external power connections, and play games decently. One would be better off spending around $500, but that's not console price.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2012, 09:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo